SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 20-05-07, 09:40 PM   #1
jim@55

Default novice track day

knockhill are running a novice/intro to track days ,anybody done this theres no price on the site but itl b around £150 i think ,.i really fancy the ron haslam school but its too far away /costs too much when u include fuel to get there ,accom and a square tyre from m/way bashing ,so knockhill it is ,OR should i just jump into a full trackday in the novice group?
Old 20-05-07, 10:38 PM   #2
independentphoto

Default Re: novice track day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim@55 View Post
i really fancy the ron haslam school but its too far away /costs too much when u include fuel to get there ,accom and a square tyre from m/way bashing ,so knockhill it is ,OR should i just jump into a full trackday in the novice group?
The Haslam school includes the use of their bikes, leathers, helmets, boots, gloves - TYRES, FUEL etc and that's on top of Rons' tuition. I'm a defo for that just whenever I can manage. The circuit is magic too of course. I've got a nice DVD that shows the ins-and-outs of the whole school. Once it comes back from a mates, I can give you a chance to watch it.

Cheers,

Garry
Old 21-05-07, 06:57 AM   #3
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by independentphoto View Post
I've got a nice DVD that shows the ins-and-outs of the whole school. Once it comes back from a mates, I can give you a chance to watch it.
It's a total fantasy of course, but could I get a lend after Jim please?

And I'd just dive straight into the novice/slow group mate. How difficult can it be...
Old 21-05-07, 03:24 PM   #4
kitkat

£150 is a lot for knockhill. do a monday/tuesday evening group. a few from here did it one night and its great. dependant on numbers there are 2 groups and its about £50 i think. Just get out there, its not hard. cones on corners, first one is braking cone, 2nd is apex cone and third is exit cone. I did about 12 laps before I even noticed them. done 6 track days at knockhill and hopefully doing a ladies one in july with instruction, raising money for spinal something or other.
Old 21-05-07, 04:13 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Spinal tap?

Yeah, the evenings are great... Short sessions, good atmosphere... A full day is a wee bit committed if you ask me, not everyone enjoys it. I did my first 2 as evenings then a couple of half days, the half days are better but would've been in too deep for me. The training days are ace- CSS, Haslam, whoever- but if you just want to go for a laugh then they're quite expeisnve, if you actually want to get good then they're in a different league.

I remember I got a flier for Knockhill, they were doing a couple of school days, one with Niall Mac and one with, maybe John Reynolds? Looked pretty good. I'm more or less signed off trackdays for a bit but I'd come up and watch y'all fall off at the hairpin
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-07, 06:16 PM   #6
scooby2102

jim, if your up for the Haslam school then defo count me in

as indi says, you get the lot chucked in with the price so at least its not yer ain bike that might go furrowing tarmac as you fly through the air with the greatest of ease

let me know
Old 22-05-07, 04:02 PM   #7
kitkat

the haslam school will be good for you jim as you do it on cbrs. i would like to do it but worry about trying to learn to ride a different type of bike whilst throwing it round a track. few people i know have done it though and have heard all good reports.
Old 24-05-07, 09:30 PM   #8
jim@55

yep , everything about it sounds ace ,,apart from the fact its 300+ miles away bit of a ****er that,
Old 25-05-07, 07:31 AM   #9
scooby2102

a wee jaunt in the park for a man of your capability jim lad

in fact, a piece o' **** compared to some of the miles done recently