SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-12-20, 09:17 AM   #1
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default New battery

Time for a new battery. The Numax gel battery I fitted about 6 years ago is starting to give up. To be honest I didn’t expect it to last this long as it only cost around £30 back then. It’s given good service for a budget gel battery so I’ve ordered another one and was pleased to see it’s still only £32 delivered.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251229162366
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-20, 10:25 AM   #2
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: New battery

I might give one of those a try soon, the GSXR doesn't seem to like the cold at the moment.
Old 09-12-20, 12:03 PM   #3
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Time for a new battery. The Numax gel battery I fitted about 6 years ago is starting to give up. To be honest I didn’t expect it to last this long as it only cost around £30 back then. It’s given good service for a budget gel battery so I’ve ordered another one and was pleased to see it’s still only £32 delivered.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251229162366
I've still got my MotoBatt but I've been road testing a cheap Gel Battery from Tanya for the last year.

I've also been testing a cheap under £10 R/R. Made webpage for it/them,

https://cx500.000webhostapp.com/Mosf...orcycleRR.html

They do a 12 amp Battery version as well for a bit more capacity.

HTH

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 09-12-20 at 02:36 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-20, 04:40 PM   #4
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Is it right that you need a different charger if you use a gel battery?
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-20, 04:43 PM   #5
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I don't think so. You do with lithium though.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-20, 09:45 PM   #6
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Like John, I don’t think so. I have used my Accumate charger on a couple of rare occasions with the gel battery and it doesn’t seem to have done it any harm. It’s hardly ever needed to be charged though, it seems to hold its charge very well even when not used for two or three weeks.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-20, 11:36 PM   #7
Dave20046
Mega Poster

As above re. charger.

Cheers for posting Gary. I'm done with Varta and Yuasa are a bit pricier but still get nailed if the charger gets knocked off . I've been considering going cheaper.
Old 10-12-20, 10:22 AM   #8
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Standard Motorcycle,"Step" maintenance chargers are fine for Gel batteries. It's the older constant current chargers that could cause a problem as they don't sense the Battery's internal resistance. They could still be used but the voltage across the battery would have to be constantly monitored so the charger can be removed when the battery has reached it's full potential.

I have an Optimate step charger in my garage for my SV but earlier this year I wanted a more powerful charger for some 12v car batteries I keep for projects and the Step charger's take over 3 days to charge these heavy duty Batteries.

I found some new style chargers on eBay that are,"Dual Charge" and in default mode can supply much larger currents safely but also adapt and can be used on Motorcycle Gel batteries but are safer for Motorcycle batteries in their 2nd mode as it's a pulse/maintenance mode.

Absolute bargain!

£12.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Car...4AAOSwtCxfECHc

They are a little noisy as they have a small cooling fan but they charge so fast it's not an issue if being used on a big battery or out of earshot.

Tanya do a 12amp version battery for SVs,

£32.39

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerline...MAAOSweiZfyfeP

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 10-12-20 at 10:37 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 11:37 AM   #9
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Standard Motorcycle,"Step" maintenance chargers are fine for Gel batteries. It's the older constant current chargers that could cause a problem as they don't sense the Battery's internal resistance. They could still be used but the voltage across the battery would have to be constantly monitored so the charger can be removed when the battery has reached it's full potential.

I have an Optimate step charger in my garage for my SV but earlier this year I wanted a more powerful charger for some 12v car batteries I keep for projects and the Step charger's take over 3 days to charge these heavy duty Batteries.

I found some new style chargers on eBay that are,"Dual Charge" and in default mode can supply much larger currents safely but also adapt and can be used on Motorcycle Gel batteries but are safer for Motorcycle batteries in their 2nd mode as it's a pulse/maintenance mode.

Absolute bargain!

£12.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Car...4AAOSwtCxfECHc

They are a little noisy as they have a small cooling fan but they charge so fast it's not an issue if being used on a big battery or out of earshot.

Tanya do a 12amp version battery for SVs,

£32.39

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerline...MAAOSweiZfyfeP
I got a similar ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1JIDYBmP7k ) one from Lidl for about £12, it has a motorbike mode but I've not dared use it on the bikes yet , only car.
Old 10-12-20, 11:42 AM   #10
svenrico

Aren't all batteries fitted to new bikes nowadays the gel type ? I have mine on an Optimate if it is standing unused in the garage for more than a few days (which it is now ) I thought the old type that you topped up with distilled water went out of fashion a while ago now and the only other type was the lithium battery !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote