SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-08-08, 08:46 AM   #1
adam_castell

Default curvy 650 power problem

hi,

im having a few problems with my bike, from the begining...

friday i went for a ride out at lunch time, and had to fill up, its not my usual filling station, but i didnt have a choice, well after filling up i carried onm riding (quite hard) and i noticed a drop in power around 9000 and 10000 rpm, the power would just drop at those points and quickly recover. i thought i may have a bad batch of petrol? (it was also damp that morning) i used all of the petrol in the tank and then filled up at my usual filling station, took for a quick test ride and all seemed fine. Sunday i rode a 70 mile trip and noticed the same problem, and it stalled at a set of traffic lights (it was ****ing down with rain at this point??). This morning i rode in to work, and all seemed fine until half way, then i noticed the same problem, then it got worse, and i was low on power across the whole rev range! but this was an internitant problem, sometimes it recovered and i had full power again.

it sounds alot like a miss fire, but then i have never had a miss fire on the bike so i can be positive just by sound, but i guess it could also be a fueling problem?

note, it seems to show more when the bike has warmed up.

any ideas?

cheers

Adam
Old 26-08-08, 12:45 PM   #2
adam_castell

Default Re: curvy 650 power problem

just took the bike out for a ride at lunch time, the problem was there when i started up, and stopped after about half a mile of riding, so i take back my comment..

'note, it seems to show more when the bike has warmed up'
Old 26-08-08, 05:28 PM   #3
carsounds_dan

check the water overflow pipe thingy inside your tank isnt blocked or fallen off. if its blocked itll let water into the fuel which will cause all sorts of funnyness
Old 27-08-08, 07:17 AM   #4
boo86

Sounds electrical. I'd check for good sparks. Check to see if any water has pooled in the front spark plug recess. Got a fenda extenda ? That'd keep most of the sh*te away from the front sparky. Does it pop or bang ? That would indicate unburned petrol igniting in the hot exhaust. It would be unburnt due to a mis-fire.
Old 27-08-08, 08:30 AM   #5
adam_castell

thanks for your help guys, when i got home from work, i stripped the bike down, and found that the supply to the front cylinder coil was loose and giving an intermitant connection. all sorted now )