SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-04-10, 07:08 AM   #1
warrenhewitt10

Default Fazer running problem.

My mate has a 1998 Fazer 600, which he told me yesterday has just started to properly bog down at about 3000, revs and again at 5500 revs, any idea what could be causing this? im assuming it is carb related.

Also a week or 2 ago, he came out to his driveway and it had been leaking a lot of fuel, and then stopped, he wasn't able to identify where it had come from. He thinks the fuel lines are very old as well, these will be replaced soon but probably arnt the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 15-04-10, 07:35 AM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bogging Down problem

How old is it? By which I mean is it carbs or FI?

If carbs then: Fuel on the floor and running poorly - float or float needle sticking or worn/damaged.

Edit: You said it's '98, ignore the 'how old is it question' and yes it's got carbs.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"

Last edited by Sid Squid; 15-04-10 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Rank stupidity.
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-10, 08:56 AM   #3
warrenhewitt10

Default Re: Fazer running problem.

would the floats and the worn needle cause the bogging down as well?

Could it be in need of something simple like a carb balance just?
Old 15-04-10, 09:09 AM   #4
Davies

Does the bike have an exup valve? My R1 has and if it's sticking or the cables are warn I get the exact same symptoms.
Old 15-04-10, 09:14 AM   #5
warrenhewitt10

id doupt it the bike is from 1998, and wikipedia says its exhaust valves, it has had a new system on it for quite a while now and theres not any electronics in it!
Old 15-04-10, 09:16 AM   #6
ThEGr33k

Try running it with the choke on a little and see if the problem goes away. If it does then id say the jets need cleaning out. If the bike had been stood at all without draining the carbs then jelly type crap can form and the bike will run pretty much as described or perhaps worse.

HTH
Old 15-04-10, 09:17 AM   #7
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

To back up sid squid's diagnosis. It does sounds like the carbs, but it may also be the fuel lines/ pump.
As mine lost all power after a couple of miles before a bought it and was found to be pump was full of crap!

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-10, 09:19 AM   #8
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenhewitt10 View Post
id doupt it the bike is from 1998, and wikipedia says its exhaust valves, it has had a new system on it for quite a while now and theres not any electronics in it!
It may have the early exup valve as they came around with the R6 and Fazers

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-10, 09:21 AM   #9
warrenhewitt10

TG, the bikes used every day, and only started doing it last night on the return journey, so hasnt been sitting around, i shall pass on info to him, hes hoping its nothing serious, we are going on a tour in 2months lol
Old 15-04-10, 10:06 AM   #10
dill89

Hey guys, i'm the lucky bugger with the problem.
Basically i've had the Fazer for just over two years now and it has been problem free until last night. I did a normal 4 mile journey and literally in the last 400m I tried to accelerate and it bogged down at around 3500rpm and then pick up and shot off. On the way home I tried hard acceleration a couple of times and it bogs down at 3500rpm then again at around 5000-5500rpm, but only under hard acceleration. If i accelerate normally then she's fine. And as my friend warrewnhewitt10 said, I also came outside last week after a bad night of hailstones and snow to find fuel on the floor.
I intend on replacing the fuel hoses asap and also getting the carbs balanced and coolant replaced before our tour to Catalunya at the end of June, so any help is much appreciated