SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-10-08, 08:07 AM   #1
AndyL

Default Grip in Wet?

Hi All,

I Guess I am posting this message 50% for an answer and 50% for a confidence boost (read: kick up the backside). Anyway, I have owned my bike for a little over 2 weeks now and am ashamed to say I have only covered 65 miles . This is for 2 reasons, firstly, because I moved house last weekend so have been really busy sorting everything out for that but also becuase everytime I get a bit of spare time it seems to rain (or is at least very wet). Should I be worried about coming off in the wet? I guess I am worried cos my tyres are almost brand new (62 miles, so still need scrubbing in) and I have never ever ridin' in the rain/or wet. Should I be waiting a little longer to scrub in my tyres before I attempt wet weather riging? Is there that much difference between dry and wet weather grip (I dont tend to ride fast yet anyway) Am I just being a wimp?!

Cheers,

Andy
Old 27-10-08, 08:15 AM   #2
etuna

Default Re: Grip in Wet?

probably right to be a bit nervous on an 08 bike 2 weeks after passing your test with new tyres! Take it easy and you'll get there. I did my DAS course in a monsoon so was prepared for a bit or rain.
Old 27-10-08, 08:30 AM   #3
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

you aren't going to be scrubbing your tyres in in standing water, and if you feel unconfident your riding style will be ragged and the chances of you tensing up and making a mistake will be greater...

the truth is that there's a lot more grip in the wet than you think, just ride sensibly, look out for diesel and manhole covers and you'll be fine
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-08, 08:31 AM   #4
krhall

Yeah take your time to get used to it. I hate to admit it but even in the damp I don't take any chances........its not worth the risk. New bike with new tyres stay safe and get confident on your new bike mate.

BTW 65 miles is more than a lot of people do in a year......
Old 27-10-08, 08:33 AM   #5
amnesia

The key to riding in the wet is smoothness. Easy with the throttle, easy with the brakes and keep off the paint and grids where you can. Also watch out for the leaves at this time of year, and roads with overhanging trees will stay damp for much longer than open roads.

65miles is no distance at all. Don't pressure yourself over this...confidence is built over time - let it happen on its own by getting miles under your wheels. Relax, be smooth and it will all be fine.

Old 27-10-08, 08:58 AM   #6
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Cast your eyes over the Rideout of the Stuartyboy thread in the Ecosse section..... Rain!? Pah!!!

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-08, 09:01 AM   #7
jimmy-james

I passed in May this year and am still getting the confidence up in the wet and i use mine for pleasure and the daily commute. I always feel like there will be no warning and it will just fall away from under me however my new rubber is making a lot of difference to my confidence and its getting better all the time as the tyres get more scrubbed in. Problem is they dont teach you things like wet weather riding and winter riding in the DAS test and a part of me wishes they would even if it cost a bit more to do.

As others have said be smooth and take it easy in the wet and you will be fine. Curiously what are the factory tyres on new SV's?
Old 27-10-08, 09:31 AM   #8
Hardened Rider

Even if the road is damp I try to keep the bike as upright as possible on corners. Minimising the lean angle will minimise the risk of low siding. On a handful of occasions the bike has begun to slide from under me, you will see plenty of threads where guys have had to put a foot down on roundabouts etc, usually caused by too much speed for the conditions. And if you do hit diesel then you will slide. Just take it easy, nimble on the corners and you will be fine. I've just hit 45,000 miles on my K6, a lot of commuting in the rain, and the advice I can give is keep the lean angle to a minimum and have the right gear before you enter the corner, stops you being jerky on the corner itself, oh and as you should have learned on your DAS always look ahead to the point your corner goes into a straight (not looking a few in front of you), this will make you a million times smoother on the corner itself.
Old 27-10-08, 09:58 AM   #9
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Just go sensibly in rain. Thats it really. Its hard to relax when its freezin and wet, but unfortunatly your tyres won't get scrubbed in the garage. If its any consolation I inherited suzy with BT45 tyres with an over sized front, and a tyre that was almost shagged, square, with a nice split in it (read paranoid) had to ride em every where, had no brass to replace em straight away, and it was this time of year too.

I always seem to pick days when its about to rain to get a new set too, just ride slightly conservatively and you'll be fine, sometimes its more yourself than the tyres that are at fault, they are better in the wet than expected if your careful.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-08, 10:02 AM   #10
Dangerous Dave

Take your time, learn to be smooth with everything (brakes, throttle, body movement, etc) and you will be fine. Most improtantly you need to try and stay relaxed, don't tense up every time you need to brake of go around corners (I know that might sound impossible at the moment). Wet weather riding can be daunting for the experienced dry/damp weather rider too so you have nothing to feel embarrassed about. Me, I love it...

At this point in your biking career I wouldn't bother to try and get your knee down or see how far you can lean, it will all come naturally by next summer.