SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-06-06, 08:44 AM   #1
noisie

Default Points mean no prizes

I spoke to a friend today who told me that 6points was the max that a rider was alowed before his licence was suspended

This is a bad thing as I have 9month left before I have a clean licence but have a bad feeling I got flashed on Sun night trying to get some distance between me and some boy racer in a 30

Anyone have some clarity on this one?
Old 07-06-06, 08:51 AM   #2
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Re: Points mean no prizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisie
I spoke to a friend today who told me that 6points was the max that a rider was alowed before his licence was suspended

This is a bad thing as I have 9month left before I have a clean licence but have a bad feeling I got flashed on Sun night trying to get some distance between me and some boy racer in a 30

Anyone have some clarity on this one?
If you get 6 points in first 2 years then your licence doesn't just get suspended - You lose it for good Have to redo theory, CBT and DAS and then start your 2 year probation period again.

If you have had your licence for more than 2 years, then I think it's 12 points before getting suspended.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-06, 08:53 AM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

You friend is wrong.

The only time 6 points is the max you're allowed before your licence is suspended is for the first 2 years you hold your FIRST full entitlement. Meaning, if you've had your car licence for 2 years then get your bike licence, you've had a licence 2 years and can accumilate up to 12 points on either machine.
Old 07-06-06, 08:55 AM   #4
thor

Oh, and if you get 6 points in that period, you lose your licence AND keep the points!

That way, when you retake your test, you still have 6 points!!!
Old 07-06-06, 08:56 AM   #5
noisie

I've had my full car license for over ten years, my bike license since March this year.

Does that mean I have completed my two year probatiopn or that it began in March?

Cheers for this!!

(off to change my trousers)
Old 07-06-06, 09:02 AM   #6
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
I've had my full car license for over ten years, my bike license since March this year.

Does that mean I have completed my two year probatiopn or that it began in March?

Cheers for this!!

(off to change my trousers)
Yes you've completed your 2 year probation - you're safe.
Old 07-06-06, 09:03 AM   #7
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
You friend is wrong.

The only time 6 points is the max you're allowed before your licence is suspended is for the first 2 years you hold your FIRST full entitlement. Meaning, if you've had your car licence for 2 years then get your bike licence, you've had a licence 2 years and can accumilate up to 12 points on either machine.
I was under th impression that you are in a probation period for any new category added to you licence, not just the first full one. Have had a look on the DSA website, but doesn't really mention what the situation is if you have already had a full car licence for more than 2 years. If you're correct, then this is good news!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
Old 07-06-06, 09:06 AM   #8
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Squirrel is correct:

"The two year 'probationary period' will begin on the day the first driving test is passed. Drivers who already hold a full licence for one category of vehicle will not be affected if they pass a test in an additional category."

From a driving school website.

#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
Old 07-06-06, 09:06 AM   #9
noisie

... and if I accumulate 6 points within the first two years of my recent bike entitlement, do I loose my car license too?

This is complicated DAG-NAB-IT!!
Old 07-06-06, 09:08 AM   #10
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
... and if I accumulate 6 points within the first two years of my recent bike entitlement, do I loose my car license too?

This is complicated DAG-NAB-IT!!
You would if you'd had your car entitlement for less than 2 years, but you dont, so you're ok.