SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-03-09, 11:28 PM   #1
JediGoat

Default Got the bicycle of out the shed :/

Well, as my SV has a temperament problem, and I can no longer park my car near to work, I had to think of an alternative in case the moody thing refuses to start. Tube, no. Bus, no. Bicycle...oh...yeah....I got one of those, I used to commute to work on it

So...in the dark last night, I go up the shed. Fortunately I managed to remove all of the cobwebs in the shed doorway using just my face, and dragged the poor forgotten beast out.

It looked in great shape! Well, it did in the dark...once in the house, it's a sad old thing.

So, in the excitement of cheap/backup transport, and finally getting some damn exercise, I'll be spending the next few days looking at the rust...drinking tea...looking a bit more...digging out some tools, and getting the thing back on the road. I hope to manage at least 2 full days of effort in restoring it before I spit out my dummy and take it to a repairer

I am still trying to convince myself that taking the thing apart to repair/rebuild so that I can cycle to work a few days a week is a good idea. A small part of my brain tells me it's an aversion mechanism to prevent me finishing my annual accounts

Head devils...who needs em?

Jo
JediGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 11:33 PM   #2
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Got the bicycle of out the shed :/

Im Indoors has just spent a week or so on ebay looking at stuff to revamp his 'retro' mountain bike. Bearing in mind he hasn't been able to physically ride a push iron for ten years,. a fair few quids later, and a revamped mountain bike, he goes riding off yesterday with pride. Pride from me too, because its a day we thought we'd never see.

Then he came home and laid on the bed for an hour as he thought he felt a little ill..hehehehehe.
There is absolutely shedloads of stuff to revamp your bike on there, mega cheap too.!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 11:47 PM   #3
JediGoat

Well, according to TFL, it's a 38min ride to work (my old commute was about an hour). I reckon I can trim off 5 mins by crossing parks, and add on 20 by being utterly unfit.

I do have to cross the 'London Himilayas' of Hampstead and Highgate (may be nothing to most normal folk...but potential nightmares for me). However, I've made up my mind to do it.

I've got a massive £80 to spend on parts. I need new cables, new chain, maybe new brake-pads, possibly new pedals and cleats (although will try to salvage my old ones), a fair bit of elbow grease, lots of swearing, and many cups of tea.

So, in a weeks time...if anyone passes a fat bird huffing and puffing on the hill up to Hampstead..beep and say hello
Old 07-03-09, 11:52 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Try cycling round here. Everywhere is uphill both ways. I've just bought a MTB after like 6 years of not doing it. "Why is this so hard?!?!" oh yeahhh ... cardiovascular system made of smoke!
Old 07-03-09, 11:54 PM   #5
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

what sort o bike you got, really would be worth a trip to the bay. Im Indoors couldn't believe the bargains he picked up on there. Hes just spent about £200 and he got, new pedals, new cranks, forks, front mech, rear mech, casette, new 26 inch wheels...the only thing he didn't replace were the frame, the seat and the handle bars, and a couple of other bits!

Old 07-03-09, 11:58 PM   #6
zsv650

ahhh i really dig bicycling do a lot of it keep's me in relative good condition need to wash mine actually as it has built up a layer of winter crud.
Old 08-03-09, 12:01 AM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Try cycling round here. Everywhere is uphill both ways. I've just bought a MTB after like 6 years of not doing it. "Why is this so hard?!?!" oh yeahhh ... cardiovascular system made of smoke!
OH YEAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Old 08-03-09, 12:10 AM   #8
JediGoat

I've got a OK'ish (read - cost me about £500 when I got in 5 years ago) hardtail MTB. I converted it for commuting back then - skinny tires, rear rack, 20,000 lights (they still never see me), clipless pedals (can't ride in anything else), etc.

The alluminium frame is sound, but I need to check the bottom bracket tomorrow. I need new inner tubes (but I have some of those), and some cables are rusty so will replace them all. There is a lot of furring and rust on bolts holding the components on, so they need replacing, and some spots of rust on the gears (but hoping I can clean that off). I've built/repaired my bicycles before, so not too bothered about the work, it's just keeping the cost down that is key atm.

Plan is to dismantle the whole thing (in the living room ) check and clean everything, then grease up the whirly bits, replace the knackered bits, swear at trying to realign the gears (I hate that bit), and give it a try.

My only concern (other than the BB being fubared) is the supsension forks being no good now (not sure how I can tell, but, I'm sure it'll draw my attention at some point) - but if they are no good, I plan to get some rigid ones off ebay.
Old 08-03-09, 12:16 AM   #9
Holdup

Makes me want to get my bmx out, i did say to my parents "ill still ride it even when i get my ped" 2 years ago, got ped still rode my bmx up untill september, sat in shed since, the mods i had planned for that
Old 08-03-09, 08:52 AM   #10
Tim in Belgium

Pictures are required! Good luck with the restoration.