SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-05-12, 06:20 AM   #1
Stuuk1

Default Laptop Upgradings...

http://www.uniwill.com/products/valu...i.php?HL=5&V=2

http://www.offtek.co.uk/ram-memory-2.../8111/mid78689

Hi all,

The above link in my very own laptop. Its fairly old now but I don't have the funds for a new one. Soooo I'm looking to upgrade this one in all ways possible.

What would you chaps do if this was yours (apart from stamping on it)?

The top link shows that the maximum RAM I can uprade to is 4GB. However the second link for the same laptop says that the maximum I can upgrade to is 2GB. Sooo I have 1GB as standard and from the look of the inside of my laptop I can only plug in one extra card. With this in mind I have now purchased the extra 1GB card from link number two. (After looking closer at the pictures I took, it does look like I can fit two cards.. one at the top and one at the bottom?)

Below are two pics of the laptop guts so you can see what I am playing with.

This now leads me on to upgrading my harddrive... I currently have a 80GB which obviously needs a much bigger one. Its a SATA 2.5". Can I install any size I wish as long as I obviously buy a SATA 2.5" or am I limited to the sizes mentioned in the spec from link 1?

Is there anything else to upgrade easily?

Thanks!!!
Old 11-05-12, 06:31 AM   #2
Elliott

Default Re: Laptop Upgradings...

Go to http://www.crucial.com/ and input your laptop details it will tell you how much RAM you can actually fit. You can replace the harddrive if you wish but using a non-oem will not install the needed drivers meaning you will have to trail through the internet (on another computer) in order to download the needed files.

If i was you i'd buy a cheap external drive and store your music/films on that and have the laptop on 2or3GB ram. Wouldn't bother with anything else, as these things are not ment to last. The average upgrade to a new unit is now only 3 years so save your money and think about purchasing a new one in the future.
Old 11-05-12, 06:41 AM   #3
MattCollins

Laptop prices are getting to the point where the gap between fresh battery, hard drive, new keyboard and maximum memory upgrades is closing in on a new replacement.

If it is functioning okay I'd leave it as it is and put the money towards a newer model with a warranty.
Old 11-05-12, 04:52 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

RAM is cheap enough to extend the useful life but I'm not bothering replacing the battery on mine or anything like that.

Just do the usual tricks, format it and get rid of all the sh*te.

And if it's just used for general surfing and farting about I'd definitely ditch windows and put ubuntu on it. Loads faster.
Old 11-05-12, 05:19 PM   #5
Stuuk1

I've used Ubuntu and can't stand it, it more for programmers etc and I'm not one.

I use it for general surfing but also using it more regularly for work, which involves writing documents in excel and word etc.

My external HD is dying as it gets knocked around a lot in my bag and the 80gb one in my laptop has lasted years without a single problem so wanted to upgrade that and store a little more on there.
Old 11-05-12, 05:45 PM   #6
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

I dont like paying high prices and care little about large laptops.
I got a Lenovo T500, P9500, 4G and the icing on the cake....1680x1050 screen, dont see those much nowerdays unless on expensive units. All for £250 squidlers delivered and it eevn came with 1 year left on the warranty (lenovo warranty travels with the laptop and not the user like dell), bingo.
Anyways i like Lenovo business series laptops, they are bullet proof and good to swing at a burglar.
Ive also got a X200 and X61
And on all that above i sold my old laptop for £80 and its over 4yrs old.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 06:30 PM   #7
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuuk1 View Post
I've used Ubuntu and can't stand it, it more for programmers etc and I'm not one.

I use it for general surfing but also using it more regularly for work, which involves writing documents in excel and word etc.

My external HD is dying as it gets knocked around a lot in my bag and the 80gb one in my laptop has lasted years without a single problem so wanted to upgrade that and store a little more on there.
Agree what's been said re. the price of a new one vs. upgrading, although you may see reformatting it gives it a new lease of live.
There are ubuntu wares out there that look pretty much just like windows and are very user friendly (once installed)

Also agree about Lenovo
Old 14-05-12, 08:08 AM   #8
markc123

Max the Ram and fit a 120gb SSD would be the best that you can do performance wise. Getting rid of an old, slow SATA drive in favour of SSD makes a huge difference.
Old 14-05-12, 04:34 PM   #9
thefallenangel

I agree, why bother upgrading when you buy a new laptop for £300-£500 which will be more cost effective (sadly).
Old 14-05-12, 06:45 PM   #10
Stuuk1

Upgrading is the better choice for me. I don't have £300-£500 but can afford a £60 HD and £10 worth of RAM. If that lasts for another 6 months then all is good!

My work is all on building sites and has to deal with a lot...

My 1GB RAM turned up today and I can already notice the difference. No more 'not responding' messages when opening word etc.

I'll look in to the HD now, but from the £10 spent, I say it was well worth it so far