SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-03-13, 05:46 PM   #1
ron2580

Default Turn the key, only the side lights come on! Plz help - I am stuck at work

So its a pointy SV650s (09-K9), started her 30mins ago. Thought to myself, "odd something feels wrong. Oh no bag on my back".

Started her, all fine. Rode from Basement lvl2 to basement lvl1, parked near the lifts. turned her off, went and got my bag.

got back to the bike and when i turn the key, only the side lights come on!!!

no fuel pump, no speedo/dash lights nothing. horn does not work. but the turn signal and hazards work?

Any ideas.... Its friday, i want to go home.

Sad in Hammersmith!
Old 22-03-13, 05:48 PM   #2
ranksounds

Default Re: Turn the key, only the side lights come on! Plz help - I am stuck at work

it's a fuse. same happened to me. just go though them. you may have to get to the main fuse under your seat
Old 22-03-13, 05:50 PM   #3
ron2580

Default Re: Turn the key, only the side lights come on! Plz help - I am stuck at work

I check the ignition fuse, but then again. I only looked at the very top of the fuse.

taking some pillars down with me now. will check all of them.

Thx Ranksound... best start there, or i am not getting home.

Any other good ideas?
Old 22-03-13, 05:53 PM   #4
ranksounds

Hope it is the same prob, you'll be on your way soon if it is
Old 22-03-13, 11:17 PM   #5
ron2580

Update: the bike is having a sleep over at work.

All the fuses under the seat are good, are there any other fuses I should check?
Old 22-03-13, 11:21 PM   #6
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Killswitch by any chance?

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-13, 11:28 PM   #7
ron2580

Yip, gave it the normal once over. Then later, really gave the kill switch a good working...

But still not joy.

Heading back to the bike in the morning, fresh mind and a charged battery ( might as well start with the basics)
Old 22-03-13, 11:34 PM   #8
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Left in gear? Fuel (daft as it sounds the low level may not be working)
If not that check the safetys: Side stand and clutch

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
Old 22-03-13, 11:42 PM   #9
ron2580

The only thing that bugs me, if you turn the key with the bike in gear, the red error light shows and speedo lights up but the fuel pump and system check does not happen. Click the gear shift into neutral, and the bike comes to life.
same with the side stand, if the stand gets kicked down, yes it dies, but again, error light and the speedo is alive.
But in my case the speedo never lights up.
Old 22-03-13, 11:49 PM   #10
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

You may have a duff connection.

On the FI the dash should light up and the system prime should happen regardless