SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-06-06, 02:50 PM   #1
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Default Superheroes are not real, right?

'My name is Peter Parker and I've been Spider-Man since I was 15 years old. Any questions?'

When i was a iddy biddy kiddy i loved to loose myself in the escapism of my Marvel Comics. And no, i'm not one of those adults who collects comics and keeps them in plastic wrapping before you get the wrong idea of me.
Even if i was, i guess id be reading them for the same reasons i did as a kid - escapism and fun. So when i read this nonsense...

His decision is reportedly made in support of a new Superhero Registration Act, which requires the crimefighters to be catalogued as 'living weapons of mass destruction'.

It makes my blood boil. Why are these things so close to the reality that we all live in. We discuss tipics like this on the forum and end up with locked threads and name calling, so why is it appropriate to drag kids conciousnesses into the real world before they have a chance to actualy use their imaginations a bit?

Or am i missing something here?

Full article
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-06, 05:07 PM   #2
K

Essentially it's not a new topic for comics to cover.

"Who watches the Watchmen?" Is a quote from one of the greatest comics of all time.

The Dark Judges in 2000AD if you take it to its extreme conclusion, or simply the SJS.

Justice League America have repeatedly covered the ground of Superheroes being just a dangerous to the innocent public as Villans in 'battle' circumstances.

X-Men's Mutant Registration storyline is far older than the films - and a theme that has been rehashed by many different writers, about many different characters or 'groupings'.

Hell, even Dandare and Captain America have at times been accused of causing more harm that good and raised calls for them to be 'controlled'.

It's an old deal - if anything, Weapons of Mass Destruction is a term from comics or Sci-Fi writers rather than tabloids or scientists. But it sounds good so I'm not surprised that it gets over used instead of "that freak who could kill alot of people if he wanted to" or "a chemical that, if the wind is blowing the right way, could kill thousands", or even "that bomb that will cause alot of buildings to fall on a lot of people"!

What is sad is that children themselves seem to be aware of the real world at a younger and younger age.
As such they are likely to lose innocence, or a need to imagine a storyline as they are able to draw comparisons with the real world earlier.

So perhaps it means that we just need to get them reading comics younger - or stop them watching the news, using the internet or talking to anyone at all.
Old 16-06-06, 05:18 PM   #3
thor

Proper comics (quite rightly) draw on the real world for inspiration. They've always had some challenging themes, otherwise they would just be kids stories. Themes such as the one presented add depth to the alternate world, and they help readers to identify with the main characters.
Old 17-06-06, 09:38 AM   #4
sharriso74

200Ad often had a lot of political undertones to their stories. Means that young children can read them on a basic level and the provides some thought provoking issues for the older ones.

Hmm Judge Anderson...
Old 17-06-06, 10:11 AM   #5
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharriso74
200Ad often had a lot of political undertones to their stories. Means that young children can read them on a basic level and the provides some thought provoking issues for the older ones.

Hmm Judge Anderson...
Oh yes, Strontium Dog kidnapping Ronald Reagan. Classic stuff.
Old 17-06-06, 10:14 AM   #6
UlsterSV

Best. Thread. Ever.
Old 20-06-06, 01:45 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

It's not a kid's comic... A lot of the Marvel series are for adult readers, this is one of them. Not sure about the US, but in the UK most comic buyers are adults now. Or at least, legally they're adults Just because it's a comic doesn't mean it's for kids. Look at Watchmen (as K pointed out), Preacher or Transmetropolitan and try and find me anything at all that's suitable for kids
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-06, 02:00 PM   #8
Ping

Sometimes I wish super heroes were real.
Old 20-06-06, 02:04 PM   #9
UlsterSV

Some of us are
Old 20-06-06, 02:25 PM   #10
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping
Sometimes I wish super heroes were real.
Few mins ago i walked past Superman on Baker Street. Honestly!
Typicaly i didnt have a camera on me but there was this blak guy with dreads dressed in a full Superman outfit complete with all the muscles and abs!!!

Thansk for the reply guys and i see what you are saying about comics and their mainly adult readership now days but thats exactly what i'm getting at.... what happended to Marvel comics for kids?

Did we squeeze the kids out with all the reaslistic and adult story lines?

Or was the PS2/PSP/GameBoxCubeThingShineyButtonsBleepingSouns the death of them anyway?

And Ping... get youself to Soho one evening and you'll see that i'm real at least
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote