SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-03-07, 01:17 AM   #1
mbillens

Default Naked '99 sv650, new handle bar recommendations?

Can anyone recommend a new after-market handlebar that might raise the grips a smidge from the standard configuration?

thx

m

Last edited by mbillens; 26-04-07 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-03-07, 08:35 AM   #2
ugp

Default Re: Naked '99 sv650, new handle bar recommendations?

Hi

Renthal Streetfighter bars would be your best bet, however you will need new throttle cables, a new clutch cable and possibly a longer front brake line. As standard theres not much slack in the cables, and anything other than stock bars are very very tight to fit and it would probably fail the mot if used on standard cables.
Old 14-03-07, 11:03 PM   #3
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugp View Post
Hi

Renthal Streetfighter bars would be your best bet, however you will need new throttle cables, a new clutch cable and possibly a longer front brake line. As standard theres not much slack in the cables, and anything other than stock bars are very very tight to fit and it would probably fail the mot if used on standard cables.
I want to get renthal bars with extra lift for my K1 curvy. Did you have to get new cables etc? If so where do you get them from?. The only things that really seem tight on my curvy are the electrical cabling and the brake line.
Old 14-03-07, 11:47 PM   #4
Davies

No idea about cable lengths (not very helpful I know) but I've got renthal bars on my curvy. I highsided it about 3 months ago and the bars didn't bend at all, not a sausage....bloody surprising considering the battering the bike took....I wouldn't go for any other brand
Old 15-03-07, 08:11 AM   #5
chazzyb

I've got gold-coloured Renthal low road bars on my yellow '99 curvy. They're wider than standard, but I have the grips positioned an inch in either side - the exposed ends look like matching bar-end weights. Top brake hose is at its limits but not stretched, and all other cables worked fine. They're slightly higher and further back than standard. Which is why I fitted them.
Old 15-03-07, 08:25 AM   #6
ugp

Dont worry about the brake like, it doesnt move with the bars. I had trouble with my clutch and throttle cables, I made a new throttle cable (just the pull) and ditched the push cable. The clutch cable is from a k4 naked. As for the wires, pop the tank up, airbox off, loosen the ties that hold the cables and pull them through a bit on the loom, theres lots of movement in them, I could get another 3-4 inches of cable from doing this.
Old 15-03-07, 10:19 AM   #7
Razor

LSL or Renthal.
I have a set of LSL low rise for sale but posting them to Cali would cost more than what you can buy them for locally.
Drop into a MX shop and get some.