SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-12-05, 11:00 PM   #1
svrash

Default I give in...................help

My dilemma is this

The drain pipe that goes from the left side of the fuel tank (under the filler cap), through the inside and out the back to let over flowed fuel and settled water drain out the back has broken off at the top (under the filler cap)

I've so far tried Epoxy resin, araldite, JB steel weld and petro putty. I've also asked about welding it, but its to awkward a task to do and keep it neat and working

I'm now exhausted of ideas and need some input
Old 17-12-05, 11:49 PM   #2
Carsick

this isn't a suggestoin, just an observation. This seems to be happening quite alot.
Is this a common problem on bikes in general or just the SV?
Old 18-12-05, 08:08 AM   #3
svrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsick
this isn't a suggestoin, just an observation. This seems to be happening quite alot.
Is this a common problem on bikes in general or just the SV?
not sure but it is rust related
Old 18-12-05, 12:03 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Not quite, it's blockage related.

If the tube gets blocked it will fill with rainwater, then it'll rust.

Repairs aren't really practical, if you've tried to stick it back and had no success it's time for a replacement tank, it might be possible to have welded, but I wouldn't try.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-05, 02:09 PM   #5
andy owen

Tanks can be welded but have to be cleaned and then a tube from an argon bottle placed in the tank to purge the explosive fumes out ,and kept in place whilst welding. there are lots of firms out there that wil do the job for you.
Old 18-12-05, 02:31 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The reason I wouldn't even try is that the tank drain can't be welded from the outside. The first tank I saw like this I took to a pro, (I do a bit of welding but I couldn't see an easy way to do this job), and simply it would cost more than a replacement tank as yours would have to be cut on the underside to allow access, and patched afterward, that plus the cost of the paint which may well be damaged.

It's not about being it being a fuel tank and the presence of fuel residue or fumes, it's simply about access and the consequent cost
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote