SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-02-09, 09:50 AM   #1
Daimo

Default Available track schools

Anyone offer advice on a good trackday training school?

I’ve look at Mr Haslams, but its £270 for what is basically 3 sessions on a half day, which is rather expensive.

I’d like to be able to use the schools track bikes as I don’t want to bin my own on, and im sure the training on offer at Donnington is one of the best, but can anyone advise any other options so I can have a look into them.

Ta
Old 23-02-09, 11:57 PM   #2
KeithCRM

Default Re: Available track schools

What about the Mick Boddice school at Darley Moor? Lookin at the web site you get a full day for £260. One down side could be the track, my brothers raced there years ago and it aint the safest track.

http://www.boddicedarleytraining.co.uk/

Personally, I did the RH school last year and TBH it is a bit expensive but plan to go again this year. Unless somebody posts some good reviews of Mick's

KeithCRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-09, 09:29 AM   #3
Holdup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimo View Post
Anyone offer advice on a good trackday training school?

I’ve look at Mr Haslams, but its £270 for what is basically 3 sessions on a half day, which is rather expensive.

I’d like to be able to use the schools track bikes as I don’t want to bin my own on, and im sure the training on offer at Donnington is one of the best,
I have the same problem as you part of me trusts me riding my own bike but part of me says dont do it for 1st ever track day, i live in kent so id prefer a track like brands hatch and looking on their site a novice day is £115 for 7 20 min sessions but atm the ron haslam race school looks my only option as it would appear to be the cheapest option including using their bike.
Old 24-02-09, 11:15 AM   #4
Essex of Essex

I've done both and RH twice and Boddice once on a very wet day it seemed that we got more track time at Darley Moor but I wasn't watching the clock.
Old 24-02-09, 02:31 PM   #5
Daimo

Holdup, likewise im in Kent. Brands would be perfect, I can't wait to ride there.

But my bike is my work hack and I need it every day (even in the snow ; )).

Im looking for a daytime MOT/track bike though to cover it, but I want to get out on track this year, sooner the better.
Old 24-02-09, 02:38 PM   #6
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Isn't someone selling a Minitwin at the moment?
punyXpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-09, 03:08 PM   #7
Daimo

I've seen that.

Unsure of the legalitys of having a completly track bike on a daytime MOT (i.E indicators etc).

But also sometime im thinking about. Track bike with Daytime MOT for road riding and track whoaring.
Old 24-02-09, 07:47 PM   #8
Jdubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex of Essex View Post
...Boddice once on a very wet day it seemed that we got more track time at Darley Moor but I wasn't watching the clock.
Same, and although the track is not up to the same "standard" as Brands or Donny, it was a brilliant day and well worth the money spent!
Old 24-02-09, 11:34 PM   #9
Holdup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimo View Post
Holdup, likewise im in Kent. Brands would be perfect, I can't wait to ride there.

But my bike is my work hack and I need it every day (even in the snow ; )).

Im looking for a daytime MOT/track bike though to cover it, but I want to get out on track this year, sooner the better.
Mines not my commuter (unless its saturday) but dunno if its worth the risk.

I was lookin into a track bike my mate wanted a track car to share but i suggested a bike and that begins to look like the only option, trouble is im 17 in full time education and part time employement been on a bike since 16 had my full licence and sv since nov 08 and havent really got much experience on a big bike, im 18 in july and thought it was an ideal bday present and also like you say, the sooner the better but im thinking maybe get used to the bike in the summer then trak it next year, but i cant find any cheap hire bikes and its really peed on my bonfire
Old 25-02-09, 10:51 AM   #10
Daimo

You wont find any cheap hire bikes that will be allowed on track.

Wouldn't worry about your age or experience. Track riding will vastly improve your riding as you can learn more how the bike reacts.

I just want a bike to use as I'll ride hard and fast. I know what im like and may push that "little too hard" and venture to a gravel trap. Which would be a pain in the bottom for me