SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-01-11, 12:48 PM   #1
muzikill
Mega Poster

Default K3 Engine Fix -Clutch basket removal & tools

So ... following on from my other threads i thought i would seperate this one with some pics & how a first timer did this...

Here is the tool i made and used

Parts from b&q

Bolts around 3 quid

Flat bar around 7 quid

btw if your look for a big torque wrench i had this for 20 quid out of argos!

Silverline 27mm socket around 4 quid off ebay

Sorted! ... tie wrap through middle holding all the bits in the right sequence for refit later.

Here's how it looks so far ...

Rotor next ...
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-11, 02:11 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: K3 Engine Fix -Clutch basket removal & tools

Despite your success do not repeat that method, the bosses on to which the clutch springs fix are too weak to allow this method to be reliable. I have previously seen it employed* and the centre nut at full torque will remain fixed in place while the clutch centre bosses snap off.

* More then once, and you are the first to demonstate it working without breaking something - I strongly advise against trying it twice.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-11, 05:25 PM   #3
muzikill
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Despite your success do not repeat that method, the bosses on to which the clutch springs fix are too weak to allow this method to be reliable. I have previously seen it employed* and the centre nut at full torque will remain fixed in place while the clutch centre bosses snap off.

* More then once, and you are the first to demonstate it working without breaking something - I strongly advise against trying it twice.
yup - found one on ebay - ta! - i suppose i could adapt the one i made into a case splitting tool
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
Old 30-01-11, 11:04 PM   #4
suzukigt380paul

the easyest way to get the nut undone is with a half inch impact either air or a 18volt,it will also work on gear box sprockets as well and no need to jam any thing up to undo it, just hold the sprocket or clutch drum with a bit of rag and undo it and the same when doing them up
Old 31-01-11, 09:31 AM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I like to do all that stuff with the engine still fitted, easy then, just put it in gear
Old 31-01-11, 09:09 PM   #6
muzikill
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I like to do all that stuff with the engine still fitted, easy then, just put it in gear
engine split bud, knackered selector forks/gears - no choice although now i know how to change a clutch! - that's one thing about repairing the engine ive learned a lot of stuff along the way that most people put it in a garage for a pro to do!