SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-02-07, 07:35 PM   #1
Toypop

Default Blackhorse APR rates?

Anyone financed a bike recently?

Just wondering what the APR was with this blackhorse stuff the dealers do.

I was gonna wait til the end of the year and buy a bike with cash but might finance the 2500 I'd need to get a new Gixxer 750 so that I can have it for the summer. I'd save up and pay it off early I expect (as in by the end of the year) but I aint doing that if the APR is crazy.

Because I only need a small amount a loan from my bank(16.9% APR the b*stards!) worked out more expensive than putting it on my credit card given that I can pay off £400 a month easily enough.
Old 19-02-07, 07:40 PM   #2
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Re: Blackhorse APR rates?

I did the extra on mine on an 0% credit card. Again - same deal, could have waited until I had all then money, but that would have been the middle of summer and the sweet winter deal would have been long gone! I'm pretty good though - just treat is as a loan, rather than use it as a credit card. Only difference is, I'm sticking the balance into an ISA and paying off the minimum, so I get the interest. Then come august, I pay the whole lot off!
Like I said you have to be good with these things, else it can be a slippery slope.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-07, 07:48 PM   #3
chazzyb

Yup, stick it one credit card, then get another that does low rate/0% rate on balance transfers and move it on over. You will pull a small %age fee for the transfer, but if you can pay it off quickly, you're looking at very cheap money.
Old 19-02-07, 07:51 PM   #4
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzyb View Post
Yup, stick it one credit card, then get another that does low rate/0% rate on balance transfers and move it on over. You will pull a small %age fee for the transfer, but if you can pay it off quickly, you're looking at very cheap money.
You don't even need to do that! Have a look on www.uswitch.com - they show you best deal on credit cards with longest 0% on purchases, balance transfers or a combination of both. Just find the former with the longest period.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-07, 08:04 PM   #5
Toypop

Must point out that I have a superb credit rating (got my print out from experian which shows loads of good history all settled on time etc) so as a result I often get turned down on things like that as they only give loans and cards to my mates who are 20k in debt!

Had the idea of doing this last year but ended up having to pay cash cos I was turned down on a 0% card (hence why I got my credit report print out - which showed no reason for it).

This is why I haven't gone down the 0% card route as it is the most obvious given that I can pay back 4 to 500 a month easily.

So not interested in the card option, has to be vehicle finance as I never have trouble getting that.

Or I could get myself into loads of debt, miss loads of payments and then the card companies will be falling over themselves to give me a card! They won't at the moment cos they know they won't get a penny in interest out of me!!!!
Old 20-02-07, 04:35 PM   #6
Terence

I was in a dealer this weekend and the computer screen showed 13%
Old 20-02-07, 04:52 PM   #7
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toypop View Post
This is why I haven't gone down the 0% card route as it is the most obvious given that I can pay back 4 to 500 a month easily.

So not interested in the card option, has to be vehicle finance as I never have trouble getting that.
The only trouble with regular HP, etc., is fees for early settlement. They're not allowed to be penal, but they're there.
Old 20-02-07, 08:53 PM   #8
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence View Post
I was in a dealer this weekend and the computer screen showed 13%
Is that 13% flat? If so, that would be circa 28% APR
Old 20-02-07, 11:21 PM   #9
Ed

R6 (and certain other Yams that aren't worth bothering with) is on 0% finance. Can't remember what the payback period is, you have to sign up by 31 March. What a sweet-looking bike that is.....
Old 20-02-07, 11:28 PM   #10
CoolGirl

Exclamation Re: Blackhorse APR rates?

one word of warning if paying for all or part of a bike on credit:

only do it if you are going to have the bike insured fully comp - otherwise, if you have a crash that's your own fault, you'd end up with a repair bill and still be paying the bike finance as well.

Go figure...