SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 22-09-09, 12:58 PM   #51
Tiger 55

Default Re: The Single malt appreciation thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Are you Scots keeping the good stuff for yourselves?
No, happy to share it among the Celts but don't tell the English. Invaded us in 1333, never forgiven them for it.
Old 23-09-09, 09:48 PM   #52
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam_73 View Post
Old Pultenie, Knockanddoo,

I have a 21yr old Old Cask Balmenach
My wife used to work for Inver House distillers. She bought a lovely bottle of Balmenach one day that went down far too quickly, I loved it, when I tried to order more she asked for more at work then came home and told me it had been the last bottling run. I could have divorced her there and then for not telling me that when I got the first bottle! Oh, well, whisky is for drinking!

Drinking a 18yr old Knockando now, it's very nice. Wooden boxed bottle that I got in a supermarket in France for 20 quid (well was shopping with my 'rents-in-law and when my eyes popped out of their sockets they bought it for me), opened it the other weekend when Kilted Ginger was down to visit (I had been waiting for the right excuse) and I haven't left it alone since.

Also have a Ardbeg "Very Young" cask strength that I was given half a bottle of by a friend when he went travelling, I thought "very young" WTF is this? and I hadn't touched it in preference of other stuff in the cabinet, until KG said "let me try it", as you would expect of a cask strength "very young" it was awful as is, but with just the right amount of water, about 30/70 it is very nice.

Collection is a bit low at the moment as the usual Inver House suspects in my cabinet, Old Pultney 12yo, Balblair 16yo, Speyburn 10yo, and anCnoc 12yo, have all run dry need restocking but I do have a Glenlivet 15yo that KG gave me (needs a tiny drop of water, then it's beautiful), Glenfiddich 12yo, and a Bowmore "Surf" (litre bottles two for 40 odd quid duty free on the Dover-Calais ferry).

I also have decanter no. 508 of only 609 bottled, of Edradour cask strength, distilled in 1993 and bottled in 2007. A good friend bought it for me in 2007 and I'm going to produce it from my suitcase and open it on his 40th birthday in a couple of years time, it will surprise him 'cos he'll expect me to have finished it, never mind kept it sealed.

A wee tip, KG and I both bought Glenfiddich 12yo half bottles for about a tenner in Sainsbury's a couple of weeks ago, proper 350ml half bottle at considerably less than half the price of a full bottle.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 23-09-09 at 09:58 PM.
Old 25-09-09, 01:59 AM   #53
Gemaroo

I'm no expert, but I do like Bushmills Irish whiskey. I picked up a bottle of the 16 yr old the other day and it's lovely. Distinctingly non-smoky, though I do like many of the Scottish single malts also with their peaty-ness.
Old 25-09-09, 10:17 AM   #54
Foey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger 55 View Post
No, happy to share it among the Celts but don't tell the English. Invaded us in 1333, never forgiven them for it.

And there's you not looking a day over 50.
Old 25-09-09, 10:51 AM   #55
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger 55 View Post
Hope you're not calling Lp ' English ' !
Old 25-09-09, 12:33 PM   #56
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by punyXpress View Post
Hope you're not calling Lp ' English ' !
I was rather grouping LP in with the fellow Celts section of the Org.
Old 25-09-09, 04:57 PM   #57
El Saxo

If I told you I'm mostly Irish does that mean I can stay in this thread?

EDIT talking of Irish, the local Oddbins had this: http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products...hp?prodid=2886 advertised for £29.99 a bottle, bargain! Except they have sold out nationwide - barstewards!!

Last edited by El Saxo; 25-09-09 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-10-09, 02:55 PM   #58
El Saxo

BUMP

Bought myself a bottle of Bruichladdich 12yo last week & it's lurvely, peated but not heavily, tastes quite delicate. I can see this bottle disappearing quite quickly!
Old 03-10-09, 04:30 PM   #59
rick0361

went to whisky tasting last night and had some superb ones at some really reasonable prices. Included a nice Vatted malt called "Monkey Shoulder" which was a bit of an eye opener. 10 yr Old Aberlour.

Will put details of the other ones on later
Old 14-10-09, 07:49 PM   #60
pod

Some very nice drams listed here.
For an excellent whisky tasting experience I can reccomend the wee whisky shoppy in Inveraray, I think its called The Loch Fynne Whisky shop. The proprietor is a gem , he will quiz you about your favourites then offer taste sensations from anonymous sample bottles. I came away with an expensive non chill filtered Bruichladdich.
My normal fave is Highland Park, but will buy Aberlour when its on a deal in the Coop.
Another interesting outlet is the grocer/ whisky shop on the left hand side of the main drag in crieff near the bottom of the hill, they still get limited shop only runs from certain distilleries if you are looking for something a bit special.

Another big fave is Edradour, it must be the cutest distillery with the best visistor experience around , stop in the next time you are near Pitlochry.
Flange ee vaj,
Pod