SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-02-06, 09:23 PM   #1
sv650s_guy

Default servicing

hey guys am thinking of servicing my k4 myself any advice? any specific tools i nedd how hard?
Old 02-02-06, 10:10 PM   #2
Last Action Pimp

its all quite basic, but get a copy of the manual and check where things are ir sump plug ect.
Old 02-02-06, 11:59 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

What mileage do you have on your bike? And are you a complete novice with motorcycle mechanics*.

If it's the 15,000 mile service, it's a major one and the valve clearances need to be checked. It's not a hard job, but this isn't where you'd want to start.

However assuming the service in question is a minor, then as long as you've got some basic tools and your head screwed on you'll be fine, and as XVS says, get a manual, I like Haynes books but I'm not sure if they have a pointy book out yet, so you may be looking at a genuine Suzuki book - or a download from this here site. There's no substitute for a manual but it won't do the job for you, so read it carefully first, and any bits that aren't entirely clear, well, we're here to help, so shout.

PS Buy an oil filter spanner/socket/strap wrench/whatever, makes the job sooooo much easier and less messy than jabbing a bloody screwdriver through the damn thing.

*Like me, I'm without a clue.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-06, 12:09 PM   #4
SVeeedy Gonzales

Did my air filter yesterday, dead easy (even if I did end up using someone else to hold the tank up) and doing oil and plugs and a few other checks this weekend.

The bike is designed for not very bright apprentice mechanics to work on it reasonably easily, so as long as you're concentrating and following guidance in the manuals, it's fine... you'll be more likely to care about damaging/forcing anything than most mechanics. Ultimately if you doubt your abilities (even if only on one thing like the valve clearances) then get a mechanic to do it for you. And take your time... things tend to go wrong when you're rushing to get it done.