SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-06-06, 11:29 AM   #1
toffo

Default Saga of snapped chain

Overtaking car today at fastish speed, sudden loss of power, not a thing , nothing, managed to cruise to a stop and pull over at a safeish spot on country road.

Engine still running, gears working, electrics okay, looked down and see that chain is wrapped around rear indicator!!!! with the rest of the chain lodged between swingarm and rear sprocket. Holy ****!!!!!

The chain had taken gouges out of the rear plastic and then slapped itself around the indicator. just lucky i guess that it wasnt my head.

Anyway, called breakdown servive(Carole nash) but mobile was showing low battery, just about managed to tell them my whereabouts when phone went dead! bo*****s.

Not sure now wether all the details had been passed on correctly, stand there a while cursing my luck as i appear to be in the middle of nowhere, a few bikes go past and i wave to them, anyway, whilst i am starting to walk to find a phone box a chap on bike appears and stops, what bike was he on? yeah you guessed it an sv650.

Bloke gave me lift to phone box and i managed to sort out the breakdown from there. Anyway bloke from wellington heath if you have found this site(i told him about it) thanks very much for your help today, it was much appreciated and hopefully i will see you on the ride out in July.

Moral of the story i guess is to look after your chain, i regularly checked mine though and have scottoiler installed as well. Looks as though chain broke at split link.which i find wierd as i though all chains were now rivetted.

Another lesson learned is to always check that the mobile is charged and have good breakdown cover ( Carole Nash service was 1st class by the way).

Not sure yet if any further damage has been caused to engine or sprockets, also how do i now get the bike to mechanic?.
Anyway has this happened to anyone else? and what chains can anyone recommend, i am trying not to think what would have happpened if the chain had locked up the back wheel.
Old 04-06-06, 11:36 AM   #2
curium

Happened to me. Same symptoms except the chain just flew off leaving no real damage.

Bought a chain and sprockets online (DID X-ring and JT sprockets).

Fitted the sprokets and riveted the chain and 10,000 miles later it's still good.

Longest part of the whole thing was awaiting delivery.

Thread
Old 04-06-06, 01:01 PM   #3
instigator

Had that before too.

Unfortunate that your bike was damaged in the process....my chain whipped right off the back of the bike and went down the motorway. Took my £4.52 clutch pushrod out though. Thank god for robinsons foundry!!

I got a replacement chain from a local shop but would go with wemoto.com as they're genuinely nice to deal with. I wouldn't bother going for the ultra pimped out xxx DID Gold chains myself but then again I dont kee bikes long enough to wear one out from new.
Old 04-06-06, 01:33 PM   #4
mart

b&c chains 01522791369 tsubaki chains next day delivery
Old 04-06-06, 02:52 PM   #5
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by instigator
Had that before too.

Unfortunate that your bike was damaged in the process....my chain whipped right off the back of the bike and went down the motorway. Took my £4.52 clutch pushrod out though. Thank god for robinsons foundry!!

mine did that but also managed to put a small crack in the gen cover qand take a chunk out of my hugger.

think i got off quite lightly really considering thne speed i was doing at the time
Old 04-06-06, 02:59 PM   #6
instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog
Quote:
Originally Posted by instigator
Had that before too.

mine did that but also managed to put a small crack in the gen cover qand take a chunk out of my hugger.

think i got off quite lightly really considering thne speed i was doing at the time
Same. Must have been doing 90. I still have the old push rod. Infact, it's in my rear pocket right now. No idea why since this happened to my last sv, 8-9 months ago.

Just glad there was no-one behind me, the chain could have hit a car.
Old 04-06-06, 03:33 PM   #7
toffo

Should all chains be rivetted?
Is it safe to use split links on midrange/big bikes, if not i will have a word with the bike shop who sold me the bike as i am sure it was a split link that broke, but of course i have no evidence of this because the broken link is down the road somewhere.
I am not going to be happy if they bodged the chain as the consequences of the snapped link could have been bad.
I just have visions of the chain flying through the windscreen of the car i was overtaking at the time, luckily the chain stayed with the bike and did not lock the wheel up either.
Old 04-06-06, 04:42 PM   #8
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffo
Is it safe to use split links on midrange/big bikes, if not i will have a word with the bike shop who sold me the bike as i am sure it was a split link that broke, but of course i have no evidence of this because the broken link is down the road somewhere.
I am not going to be happy if they bodged the chain as the consequences of the snapped link could have been bad.
I just have visions of the chain flying through the windscreen of the car i was overtaking at the time, luckily the chain stayed with the bike and did not lock the wheel up either.
a split link should only be used in emergencys, ie to get your bike to a dealer to rivett the chain.
Old 04-06-06, 05:27 PM   #9
instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikageboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by toffo
a split link should only be used in emergencys, ie to get your bike to a dealer to rivett the chain.
Yeah dealers SHOULD really be rivetting them on, msot folk use split links on big bikes jsut to get to the closest garage that can rivet the link on. Having said that, spring clips are fine for 125's I have found.
Old 04-06-06, 05:56 PM   #10
Stig

Not the "split link failed" again. Everyone knows they don't fail unless you didn't fit it correctly. You muppet.