SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Stuff Wanted Looking for SV bits, nothing in For Sale? Place a plea here.

Old 21-11-07, 04:28 PM   #1
fitz2007

Default Grand Candy Blue Paint

does anyone have any grand candy blue paint laying about
or even the silver paint under the blue blue paint code is (YC2)

or even any idea where i can get some and how much i will need to do a fully faired bike

thanks wayne
Old 21-11-07, 05:39 PM   #2
POGS69

Default Re: Grand Candy Blue Paint

Where are you?

I live in the West Midlands and there's a paint shop near me that will supply the silver and blue top coat.....9 quid a tin though..
Old 21-11-07, 05:50 PM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

Its not cheap paint. Why would you want to spray a whole bike...just out of interest.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-07, 06:49 PM   #4
fitz2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Its not cheap paint. Why would you want to spray a whole bike...just out of interest.
bike was damaged
bought new pannels some different colours
Old 21-11-07, 09:18 PM   #5
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

this bloke sells loads of paint in aerosols ETC, I've never used him but if you do give me some feedback as i want some

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-07, 11:43 PM   #6
erics02

http://www.colorrite.com/CRPLfactory...imageField.y=6

this link might help. Color-rite carries a complete paint kit if you want to do the job right. However, if you go with a rattle can you may not be happy with the results. Get a gravity fed spray gun off ebay for cheap (30-50$) and do it right. There is more to painting than just spraying though. I receintly worked with a guy here in dallas painting a fairing panel for my bike. Spent 3 days with him to see how the process is done. First important and also most important part is the sanding you do. Everyone starts with say 60 grit and works their way to 600 grit. DONT do this. Start with 260 grit, sanding in horizontal lines, not circles, then move to a 400 grit wet sand. If you want a good strong finish, move up to a 600 grit wet sand after this. THEN primer, repeat the sanding with 400 and 600 grit, paint a thin coat, sand, new coat, sand, new coat. Dont rush yourself. Finally clearcoat with the gun on very fine and dry in a clean, no wind area. My bike is also candy grand blue and the paint process we used was only 2 stage, meaning there was no silver base coat, just a layer of gray primer, then the blue with the metal fleck in it, finally good stong clear coat. Color-rite sells the paint by the quart, and for two lower fairings, one quart was just enough. Get ready to spend some cash but at least you will have the equipment if you ever need it again, or if you want to get creative and do some stenciling. Just in case, i think color-rite might make this a 3 stage paint process, but it isnt necessary. Jst be sure to ask if the paint has the silver added in it or not.
Old 21-11-07, 11:45 PM   #7
erics02

oh yeah, two posts up, the guy referring you to the other guy selling paint: i have heard alot of positive comments on the touchup paint for small nicks. But dont try to use it on a large areas (size of a dime or larger) it looks like a 3rd grader with finger paints did it. Use the touchup and a dab of clear coat over it to make it shine
Old 22-11-07, 12:11 PM   #8
adam_castell

ive just brought paint from here

http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetai...productID=5423

you can buy the kit or just the base coat if you wish