SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-09-05, 05:50 PM   #1
swamp

Default Polished rims on a K5 with black wheels

Has anyone polished the rims on a K5 bike yet. I have a black k5 and I have been putting some shiny bits on like chrome bar ends, s/s rad covers to add a bit more sparkle. Thinking about polishing the rims sometime in the future but a bit worried esp being my first bike, don't want to spoli it. A friend did this with his bandit 600 and they look great.

Is it best to use some masking tape around the rim edge and then Nitromorse carefully the rim. He used this and some wire wool to remove the paint but forgot the whole procedure, it was years ago and before I got into bikes so did not take much notice at the time. What about near the tire, is it safe to use this stuff near rubber.

swamp
Old 04-09-05, 07:12 PM   #2
TC3

Default Re: Polished rims on a K5 with black wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp
Has anyone polished the rims on a K5 bike yet. I have a black k5 and I have been putting some shiny bits on like chrome bar ends, s/s rad covers to add a bit more sparkle. Thinking about polishing the rims sometime in the future but a bit worried esp being my first bike, don't want to spoli it. A friend did this with his bandit 600 and they look great.

Is it best to use some masking tape around the rim edge and then Nitromorse carefully the rim. He used this and some wire wool to remove the paint but forgot the whole procedure, it was years ago and before I got into bikes so did not take much notice at the time. What about near the tire, is it safe to use this stuff near rubber.

swamp
I much prefer the black wheels and have not heard of anyone polishing the black rims as of yet
Old 04-09-05, 07:15 PM   #3
trick

do it do it do it do it. that'll look amazing i reckon. if youve got some extra shiney bits on your bike then i think that polished wheels will look spot on.

TRICK
Old 04-09-05, 09:05 PM   #4
swamp

I am looking for a black and silver mix you see. Maybe a bit further down the line I'll give it a go. I love the polished rim look on the kwak Z1000, thought it might look good on the black SV.