SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-09-14, 05:58 PM   #1
steady2wheels

Default Removing 'Kreem tank liner' from a petrol tank?

Hey guys, I have a little issue with my recently purchased curvy. The previous owner put 'kreem' tank liner in the fuel tank, this tank liner as many of you will know is no longer usuable with modern fuel as it blisters and peels and is hten carried into the carbs.
So my issue is getting the stuff out, I have heard from speaking to a few people that i shouls use either caustic soda or acetone, any suggestoins on which you think would be more effective or suitable would be appreciated.
Though that is not my main problem, the biggest bstacle i see is blocking up the holes from the fuel tap and the fuel cap, I thought about using a plumber's bung kit, but im guessing either of the chemicals would eat through the rubber and the corrisive chemicals would then ruin my lovely paint work.
So please any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I might even buy you a beer
Old 30-09-14, 06:57 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Removing 'Kreem tank liner' from a petrol tank?

Google "removing non-ethanol resistant tank sealant" and there are some sites that sell various chemicals for the task at hand.

To block the holes up on a tank I recently did, I took a short fat bolt, wrapped a load of gaffa tape around it and screwed it into the fuel sender hole, it was good enough for the time it needed to be sealed. For the hole which usually holds the fuelcock I used a thin strip of metal with 2 holes drilled in it for the bolts, and a little bit of rubber sheet to act as a gasket.

Jambo
Old 30-09-14, 07:37 PM   #3
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Kreem is compatible with the latest fuel additives. This is what I found when researching what to use to line the tank of the 2MA. So far, no problems. Though I understand some of the older stuff may not be. But so far I've only read anecdotal reports and no direct evidence.

The liner of my 2MA is holding up fine so far.

So why do you want to remove it, are you having issues with it?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-14, 09:45 PM   #4
steady2wheels

How did you block hte filler cap hole Jambo? Yes lots of trouble (by lots i mean tedious and continuous), the lining is reacting with the petrol, bubbling up and coming off and blocking the carbs, you can imagine my surpirse when i took the carbs apart and found lots of white gunk in them.
Old 01-10-14, 05:43 PM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

My fix for the filler hole was to put a plastic food bag over the filler cap and then close it so the cap itself had a layer of plastic between it and the contents of the tank. Seemed to work fine for me

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard