SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-11-17, 03:40 PM   #21
L3nny
Mega Poster

Default Re: Top selling bikes

The fact that the 10th-5th best selling bikes sold less than 600 units in a year is the most shocking part of this. The average litre sports bike has almost doubled in price over the last 10 years while average wages have pretty much stayed the same would go some way to explaining that. Especially when you pay the best part of 20k on a bike and it comes with basically nothing to stop it being stolen.

Last edited by L3nny; 01-11-17 at 03:42 PM.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 06:28 PM   #22
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
Especially when you pay the best part of 20k on a bike and it comes with basically nothing to stop it being stolen.
What would you like to see on a bike to stop it being stolen, because as far as I am aware there is pretty much nothing on the market short of a 24hr armed guard standing next to it that will achieve that.

The days of thieves coming along, sticking a screwdriver in the ignition or twisting a few wires together and then riding off are long gone, these days they simply pick it up or push it off to somewhere they can van it to the disposal point. You can add deterrents such as Datatag or smart water that will make the parts harder for them to get rid of but these won't stop them taking it in the first place. Fitting a tracker will help you retrieve it providing you can react fast enough and intercept it effectively, but you won't have very long to do this against the professionals (we're talking minutes here) although you get a bit longer with the amateurs who will park it up somewhere for a few hours for this very reason.

Basically if you have a valuable or desirable bike that you don't want stolen then don't leave it in high risk areas unattended, and definitely don't do it repeatedly (see recent thread on here from some poor Orger who had his GSXR stolen....). I do feel for those that live in urban areas and don't have a secure garage, but the reality is you're a complete mug if you spend 20k on a bike and then don't expect someone else to want it.......
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 11:42 PM   #23
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
if you spend 20k on a bike and then don't expect someone else to want it.......
I think if I had 20k to spend on a bike I'd definitely have a garage, and would more likely have a 17k bike and a 3k hack / runaround that was less desireable.

Actually I don't think I'd ever spend 17k on a bike either anyway.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 10:23 AM   #24
L3nny
Mega Poster

While you're never going to stop all bike theft there is a lot more the manufacturers can do and it wouldn't cost them much. Proper factory fitted alarms and trackers, places on the frame where you can put a chain through, proper immobilisers which not only stop the engine being started but also lock the brakes on or lock it in gear.
Although you can never stop the bike being lifted into an insulated van (although BMW are helping by making bikes that weigh as much as a small moon) a lot of theft is opportunists who break the weak steering lock and use another bike to push it away.
Look at the improvements made in car security over the last 30 years, on bikes it's pretty much the same, or with some manufacturers, worse.
Old 02-11-17, 10:57 AM   #25
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
Although you can never stop the bike being lifted into an insulated van (although BMW are helping by making bikes that weigh as much as a small moon) a lot of theft is opportunists who break the weak steering lock and use another bike to push it away.
Look at the improvements made in car security over the last 30 years, on bikes it's pretty much the same, or with some manufacturers, worse.
Yes BMW are certainly doing their bit for security by making their bikes weigh more than the average van can carry LOL

If a bolt cutter does not do the job a battery angle grinder with a cutting disc will make short work of any chain or ground anchor (hardened or not, makes little difference) and not that noisy either. If I lived in a city that had clamping I would carry one in the boot of my car.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 11:05 AM   #26
L3nny
Mega Poster

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/this-...antly-reduced/

Off topic, but interesting article.