SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-05-06, 04:10 AM   #1
matteo

Default Suzuki Super Grease "A" - 99000-25030

Hi, folks,

I have the wheels off of my '99 SV naked for a tire change. (you may recall my posts a lifetime ago about which direction to go from the Bridgestone BT010's. I went with the Michelin Pilot Power because they had 'em in stock)

... uh, hm... So the Suzuki service manual which did not come with the bike, but I gladly found on this site indicates "Suzuki Super Grease A" for the wheel bearings. Does anybody know A.) what this stuff is, or 2.) where to get it or its equivalent? I will check with the dealer tomorrow.

Obvious concerns, standard bearing grease (such as for your car) would be too heavy duty/thick, and lithium grease too light duty/thin (separate and run out).

I have searched these forums without success. I then googl'd news groups till numb from all the rants/raves/high horses.

Much thanks

Time for a little MotoGP 3 online to makeup for my efforts.

Matt
Old 26-05-06, 05:08 AM   #2
Graham

I wouldn't worry about greasing the wheel bearings, Just replace them if they are knackered. Mine are still going at 63000 miles
Old 26-05-06, 09:29 AM   #3
SV650Racer

The grease can be ordered by any suzuki dealer and costs £7.05 uk pounds
Old 26-05-06, 10:31 AM   #4
chazzyb

I'd have thought any high-temperature grease suitable for car wheel bearings is going to be more than adequate for bearings on a bike. Castrol LM, for example, is not what I'd call thick and pretty much the only grease I ever use.
Old 26-05-06, 11:39 AM   #5
haggis

Your front bearings should be sealed items anyway.

But as chazzy says, any car bearing grease is spot-on for the job at the rear wheel.
Old 26-05-06, 12:01 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzyb
Castrol LM.
Would be perfect, and, I suspect, rather more keenly priced than Suzuki's own.

But that's here, the US may well be different.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-06, 12:34 PM   #7
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis
Your front bearings should be sealed items anyway.
Suzuki OEM bearings that were on my wheels were not sealed. From what i understand the rubber cover above the bearings that you have to pull out is what does that job of holding the grease in while new KOYO bearings 2RS are rubber sealed anyway which is what i now have now.

LM grease i use for lots of things except inside the engine.

It would be usefull to have a list of diffrent greases and their uses on the bike and also what you can subsitute one with the other if needed etc...
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-06, 12:41 PM   #8
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

I googled this and found some info, not sure if its 100% though.
Quote:
LM Grease
A lithium based high melting point grease specifically designed as a wheel bearing grease.

Moly Grease
Molybdenum grease for use on kingpins, shackles...etc. Also used in engine re-assembly on items like main and camshaft bearings.

Red Rubber Grease
Special rubber compatible grease for use on hydraulic brake and clutch components where hardening or swelling must be avoided.

CL Grease
Soft calcium based grease for chassis lubrication and for swivels and spring shackles. Resistant to salt water spray.

BNS Grease
Bertone based non-melting high temperature grease for ultra severe applications such as race/rally front wheel bearings.

MS3 Grease
A high melting point lithium based grease for heavy duty chassis and some CV joints.

Copaslip Grease
Ideal for manifold studs, cylinder head bolts, spark plugs and wheel studs. Prevents corrosion
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-06, 06:06 PM   #9
matteo

thanks, everyone.

For those interested from Suzuki's page $5.95 for a tub:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Accessor...f-83c336ef804e

In the US all I can find is Castrol MP Wheel Bearing Grease (lithium base) NLGI #2

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=6004029

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...loads/b/b3.pdf

Someone else recommended Silkolene Pro RG2 Racing Grease. Also Lithium based, NLGI #2

http://www.silkoleneshop.com/product.../15250165.html

Cheers

Matt