SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-05-10, 09:21 AM   #1
Kate Moss

Default IT Help

Can you edit a scanned document? If so, how do you do it! I can cut and paste the text i need onto a word document bu cant seem to edit the text.

Any ideas?
Old 12-05-10, 09:22 AM   #2
suzsv650

Default Re: IT Help

What about this?
Old 12-05-10, 09:23 AM   #3
Tara

without being there i can't think properly but i don't think you can edit it unless you have adobe writer/editor
Old 12-05-10, 10:28 AM   #4
Bri w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara View Post
without being there i can't think properly but i don't think you can edit it unless you have adobe writer/editor
wot Tara sez

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 10:42 AM   #5
phi-dan

Depends on how you scan it and if you have the original or not. If it's scanned to a PDF file, then you will have the devil's own job as conversion back to Word frequently borks the formatting. If you have the original then you could scan it to an OCR package (some will even import and OCR from a PDF / JPG / etc) which then outputs to Word anyway. Omnipage is pretty good (other software titles are available, standard rates apply, calls from mobiles will cost an arm and a leg)
Old 12-05-10, 11:15 AM   #6
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi-dan View Post
Depends on how you scan it and if you have the original or not. If it's scanned to a PDF file, then you will have the devil's own job as conversion back to Word frequently borks the formatting. If you have the original then you could scan it to an OCR package (some will even import and OCR from a PDF / JPG / etc) which then outputs to Word anyway. Omnipage is pretty good (other software titles are available, standard rates apply, calls from mobiles will cost an arm and a leg)
Just to clarify, the reason you can't edit a scanned document directly is because it's an image - effectively a photograph taken of the document. It doesn't contain text information like a Word document does. You use OCR (optical character recognition) packages to convert an image into a document - it optically recognises each character and creates the corresponding text information. However my experience of these is that they don't work all that brilliantly. YMMV.
Old 12-05-10, 11:35 AM   #7
slark01

Scan document, Now open with PAINT, erase word(s), write what you want in it's place. Job done.
Did this on a scanned Bank account summary for my Bro. Then emailed it to him in Thailand, just so it looked liked he had loads of money in his account.

Ste.
Old 12-05-10, 11:39 AM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

Scanned docs...
PDF - You need a PDF editor and not all will work, i recomend Foxit (evaluation copies can be found)
Tiff - No
Gif - No
JPEG - No
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 11:50 AM   #9
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
PDF - You need a PDF editor and not all will work, i recomend Foxit (evaluation copies can be found)
a PDF from a scan is usually just an image encapsulated in a PDF - ie no OCR has taken place. So this step still needs doing, even if you have a PDF editor.