SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-05-16, 05:30 PM   #1
bristolboy

Default GPS Stem mount

Hi

Can somebody link me to the best place to buy a hollow steering stem nut and a GPS stem mount for my K9 pointy at all?

Many thanks !
Old 18-05-16, 08:30 PM   #2
Fen Tiger

Default Re: GPS Stem mount

Hi BB, I fitted a snazzy alloy stem nut similar to this ....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-...MAAOSwf05XOwaZ

The one I got was an Ergol nut by Evotech. I was pleased with the quality and it looks good on the bike. The listing I bought from does not exist on e bay anymore but the above link shows what looks like the same nut by another seller.

I am currently using a Ram Ball stem hole mount which i like. It is not a solid solution and can be rotated with little force but in use does not move.

There are so many ways to mount a satnav to the bike. I am happy with the stem hole solution. Hope you get sorted.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-16, 05:32 AM   #3
bristolboy

Thanks for your help mate ! All sounds good
Old 20-05-16, 12:12 PM   #4
AlexAdams

Hi,

I got a zinc plated steel M24 half nut from local hydraulic hose company for a couple of quid so no concerns about damaging it when tightening as they're bloody tight, I had to use a 2ft breaker bar to remove the old one!!!

Ref stem mount, I used an ultimate mobiles kit which was around £35 from ebay; 10% off through ebay IIRC cheaper than their website!

I have to say though, with my helmet at least I have to look down to see the clocks, so my phone in the stem mount is really quite out of sight which if really using it as a satnav is not exactly ideal.

Ps) there's a thread of mine with all the sizes and links which would be worth trying to find.
Pps) I put a USB socket under the seat and ran a 2m USB cable to the front which is much tidier than a 12v socket near the dashboard.
Old 20-05-16, 12:23 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

i just use the widscreen sucker on the rev counter face. in 30k miles its only fell off a few times and most of them are due to using back to black on the clocks.

i also use a proper satnav usb charger plugged into my gizmo. when i turn the bike off the satnav turns off and visavarsa.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-16, 03:00 PM   #6
DryRob

I got a Gixer nut a few years back, from the GSXR 1000 K1/K2 according to my ebay receipts
DryRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-16, 03:20 PM   #7
Fen Tiger

I know Alex managed to get the Ultimate Addons stem mount to work but it didn't work for me. I won't bore you with the details but the size of the SV stem hole is at the extreme of their stem mount design and just chewed itself up when tightened carefully. That is why I ended up with the Ram Ball stem mount which itself requires careful fitting as the bung has to be trimmed to the right length/size and the correct plastic end nut has to be selected. Many folks select the smaller end nut but you need to select the largest which will fit down the hole so that when tightened the nut doesn't pull up the middle of the bung and fail. Sorry, I am going on a bit!
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-16, 04:12 PM   #8
DryRob

I also made the stem mount out of an old bar end, ball knob, bolt and a couple of washers. Doesn't look as bad as it sounds either.
DryRob is offline   Reply With Quote