SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-01-17, 12:54 PM   #1
aesmith

Default Replace SV650S with newer, or alternatives?

Hi,

I'm getting some pressure/encouragement to replace the SV with something newer and hopefully less troublesome. The easy option would be to look for a low mileage SV, the idea being to get one that hasn't been bodged by former owners with tail tidy, silly indicators, butchered wiring etc, and one that's young enough that trouble spots like suspension linkages and steering bearings can be cleaned dealt with before they cause issues.

However I should also think of alternatives, so looking for ideas for models that better the SV without giving up so of the properties that I need. I don't want to go any heavier or higher, and need to retain or improve weather protection. To be honest it doesn't need to be even as fast as the SV but would prefer not to give up too much.

Usage is exclusively commuting, just over 30 miles each way with dual carriageway, minor road and city mileage. Plus a 1/2 mile unmade drive.

Any thoughts welcome,

Tony S
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-17, 01:37 PM   #2
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Default Re: Replace SV650S with newer, or alternatives?

So, you want something solely for commuting with a low seat height doesn't need to be as fast as the SV but has great weather protection and is really economic and practical.

I don't want to sound daft but that screams superscooter and if your ego would let you there are some decent ones out there..

Could just be me but I think superscooters are great at doing what they do, yeah it's not got the handling of a real motorbike, but that thing of not having gear grip and go is great, when the weather picks up I may look again at getting one...

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-17, 01:53 PM   #3
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

How about an F650 GS. They aren't too tall, but the upright position is great for commuting. The vario topbox is also handy if you want to take a bag. Very economical, comfy on the dual carriageway, great on the unmade drive. I know I'm biased as I own one, and I don't use mine for commuting but on the occasions I do the 120 mile round trip to work it's ideal. The F800 screen can be swapped on and gives good protection at speed. Now replaced by the F700 of course but still plenty of 650s about.
Old 13-01-17, 01:54 PM   #4
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Oh and when you say getting pressure does that mean you take a pillion? In which case, the GS is also far more comfortable than the SV.
Old 13-01-17, 02:01 PM   #5
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
.. I don't want to sound daft but that screams superscooter and if your ego would let you there are some decent ones out there..
That doesn't sound daft at all, but I did not fully get on with the Aprilia 500cc that I used for a while. Weather protection was great, even in bad weather I could ride in normal office shoes, and only needed over trousers if it was properly raining. Luggage was good as well, and performance quite adequate. Disadvantage was that it weighed a ton, 200 or 220kg depending on who you ask, and you certainly felt that if it need to be manhandled. In traffic the bulk was a disadvantage. There were practical disadvantages, replacing the drive belt is a fairly major task and was supposed to be every 7,500 miles. Getting the back wheel off was again a big job. The killer really was reliability, that thing left me stranded three times with electrical fault in the 9 months I was regularly using it. (Can't be jump started either) Then when I put it up for sale with everything supposedly fixed it wouldn't start then either. I actually still have it in the shed.

Having said all that I have considered a smaller, say 125cc scooter purely as a winter or bad weather bike. Could also use it if I've visiting customers. Realistically though for that purpose I should try and get the dead Aprilia back to life.

What current scoots are you looking at? I see Honda do a 300cc than might be OK,
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-17, 02:12 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

as chukka said or XJ600 2010>

the divvy is light and low seat hight, they are good bikes TBH.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-17, 03:09 PM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-r...ersion-f/2010/

No frills and no thrills, this says the engine is a bit fluffy below 3000 rpm - maybe that is where a four loses over a twin.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 10:16 AM   #8
Talking Heads

I have a Honda Forza for sale, cheapest you'll find anywhere, and happily its in Aberdeenshire.....
I've used it for commuting these past three years and its definitely the right tool for the job.
Its on Gumtree at £1750
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-17, 10:17 AM   #9
DryRob

Yamaha Fazers are pretty comfortable but still nippy, the fuel injected ones are probably lighter than the carbed one I had and you can pick them up for reasonable money.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
DryRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-17, 02:37 PM   #10
macamxthe1st

Suzuki Burgman 400. I have had a couple of these and they are ridiculously good at many things. In terms of practically and usability it was unbelievable.

Geoff.