SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-01-17, 10:47 AM   #1
Stilo

Smile Newbie/Custom Project

Hi

I am new to SV650s and the forum, I don't have a lot of experience of Suzukis, I had a GSX650F for a short spell last year & a 250 two stroke single that I raced back in the 80s but that is it.

I have a 93 Ducati 900SS that I did a "nut & bolt" rebuild on a few years ago which will stay with me but apart from that I like to buy 1 or 2 bikes a year that are damaged and/or in need of TLC as a project. I learn about the bike, fix them, use them & then usually move them on.

A lot of the bikes have been tourers or sports tourers, Ducati STs, Aprilia Futura, BMW 1100S, the GSX650F and a couple of Deauvilles (yes I know) etc.

These have generally been used to do a tour in Europe including a visit to a MotoGP & then I sold them when I got back.
I've now decided that my touring days are over, its easier, quicker and cheaper just to fly to a GP and with modern bikes increasingly getting taller and heavier I find them physically more difficult to handle, (I am a 63 year old, 11 stone short **** weakling) and they are packed with technology that I just do want or won't use.

I've always liked the simplicity and style of the Monster but I've had a few Ducati's so I did some research on a similar alternative. I wanted a bike that was of relatively simple design & easy to work on, not too tall or heavy, reliable, parts were easily and cheaply available and that could lend itself to a bit of customisation so I decided to get a SV650.

Ive bought a 2005 faired bike (Gen 2, pointy?) with front end damage, my intention is to turn it into a streetfighter/naked bike based on but not identical to the SV650 naked.

If anybody is interested and if it will help others in the future who will be doing a similar project I will update this post with pics and information as I go on.

I have used the search function on this forum already but the answers to the initial posts often go off on random directions with conflicting information so I would like to tap into the knowledge of the forum members with some direct questions.

The forks legs are fubarred but the lowers are OK. I have read about GSX forks, wheel etc as a replacement but I dont want to go that far. Apart from direct replacements will any other forks fit?
I understand that the Gen 1 & Gen 2 forks are different but are the legs (stanchions) the same? are they the same dimension and length, could I fit Gen 1 legs into my Gen 2 lowers?, would the Gen1 legs fit the Gen 2 yokes or would I need the Gen 1 yokes?.

If I have to go with Gen 2 forks would a Gen 1 naked headlamp and mountings fit or are they (as above) different dimensions?
If not, any recommendations on a replacement headlamp, I would prefer a round lamp with good illumination.

I would like to fit higher bars (Renthal style) any recomendations & tips on bars, do I fit risers to the original top yoke or are there good other alternatives? can I re-use original cables?, use cables from a naked?.
I will replace the front brake hoses with stainless hoses, any recommendations on make & length?

The bike has an aftermarket can on it but I would like to replace it with a high level pipe & can, preferably carbon, any recommendations?

Best belly pan?

I want to put a larger rear sprocket on it, size and/or make?

Whilst it is in bits I will do the usual replace oil, filters etc, are they any other things I should check, valve clearances? it has 28K miles on it.

Are they any known faults and or upgrades that it would be best to carry out?

Thank you all in advance for any suggestions and help.
Stilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 10:50 AM   #2
Stilo

Default Re: Newbie/Custom Project

Whoops, one I forgot any links to a workshop manual?

Thanks
Old 18-01-17, 01:54 PM   #3
Stilo

Perhaps something like this but with higher bars
[/URL][/IMG]
Old 18-01-17, 02:05 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

welcome to the fold.

there is more to turning a faired SV into a naked than people think. no two ways about it, its going to be expensive if done properly.

its often the hidden things on front ended bikes that people dont realise they need to change and as an example headstock bearings and races.

TBH high level pipes on the SV are more trouble that they are worth, mid level or standard are best.

if you want a gsxr front end and high bars (naked) then you will need a special top yoke made.

you cant swap internals of the forks between curvy and pointy bikes as the damper rod is different on each. if the stanchions are the only thing that are bent (i'll bet the yokes are as well) then just buy new stanchions at £200 for the pair which is a looot cheaper than a gsxr front end swap. now since the SV front forks are nothing but pogo sticks then you will want to upgrade the internals.. which will bring you near the price of a gsxr swap, well that is until you need to work out a speedo fix.

what ever you decide we are here for help.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 02:23 PM   #5
sl0th86

Dont suppose you have the lower side fairings and brackets do ya? Sorry to be off the subject but they are like gold dust! Good luck with the build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18-01-17, 02:26 PM   #6
Stilo

Hi Bibio

Thanks for your welcome & such a quick response.

So thats ruled out one line of thought about the earlier forks, thanks, except would a complete Gen1 front end including the yokes etc.fit into a Gen 2?

Ive read about the pogo sticks & I reckoned on upgrading the springs & oil, I'm not a speed God so I wont be pushing the bike to its limits.

I will get the yokes checked out, is the bottom yoke prone to being bent?

I got confused reading the info about the GSXR front end, is it everything including wheel & calipers etc & what model(s) fit?

Thanks again
Old 18-01-17, 02:28 PM   #7
Stilo

Sorry its the half faired version, thanks for the good wishes
Old 18-01-17, 06:23 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

never tried swapping a curvy front end onto a pointy but i do know that the curvy yokes wont fit the pointy due to the ignition being in the middle.

all gsxr front ends from 00> fit the pointy but you need the whole front end including the yokes, wheel, mudguard, spindle, brakes etc.etc. basically the complete front end from the gsxr. the most cost effective ones are the gsxr 600 2000-20003 but they are RWU and not USD.

by the time you factor in all the bits and bobs its better to just get new stanchions for the SV
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 07:47 PM   #9
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Welcome and please be advised that we all like a good build thread with lots of progress pics. See the Project GP500 thread by SqirrelHunter and several by Col Hughes for great examples. Good luck with it all too.
Old 18-01-17, 08:04 PM   #10
maviczap
Mega Poster

Hello & welcome, plenty of good advise & Bibio is the Jedi master when it comes to knowledge about Sv's

SVrider forum is another place to look for hints & tips

http://www.svrider.com/forum/
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote