SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-03-06, 10:18 PM   #151
tricky

Allegedly there are 33 ranks in the hierarchy of the Freemasons
ranging from "Entered apprentice" to "Soverign Grand Inspector General"

Some intersing ones inbetween are "Royal Arch of Enoch", "Knight of the Eagle & Pelican and Soverign Prince Rose Criox of Heredom" and "Grand Elected Knight Kadosh"
Old 15-03-06, 11:35 PM   #152
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

No knights who say NI though, is there...... Actually I bet there is....

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-06, 12:00 AM   #153
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

on the (W)hole women have more hair than men .

Old 16-03-06, 07:37 AM   #154
Stingo

Old 16-03-06, 07:56 AM   #155
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-06, 10:53 AM   #156
tricky

The term "chatting" originated in the trenches in WW1.
The men in trenches suffered terribly with lice infestations on their bodies and clothes.

The lice would lay eggs in the seams of the mens clothes. These eggs where known as "chats". Washing the clothes did not remove these chats, they needed to be physically squashed to prevent them maturing and producing more lice. This process was known as "chatting", invariably the men would sit in groups talking whilst doing this, hence the term "chatting".

This may also be the origin of the term "chatty" to describe something that is dirty or shabby.
Old 16-03-06, 10:57 AM   #157
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
The term "chatting" originated in the trenches in WW1.
The men in trenches suffered terribly with lice infestations on their bodies and clothes.

The lice would lay eggs in the seams of the mens clothes. These eggs where known as "chats". Washing the clothes did not remove these chats, they needed to be physically squashed to prevent them maturing and producing more lice. This process was known as "chatting", invariably the men would sit in groups talking whilst doing this, hence the term "chatting".

This may also be the origin of the term "chatty" to describe something that is dirty or shabby.
Bollox. The dictionary says that it's a 16th Century word, derived from 'chatter', which itself can be traced back to c.1225, chateren "to twitter, gossip"
Old 16-03-06, 11:17 AM   #158
tricky

I stand corrected.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

******** to you too

Shamelessy nicked from the BBC :

A stronger British term for testicles, which rhymes with 'frollocks', is probably worth a guide entry of its own. To talk this word would mean to talk rubbish or to be misinformed, while to say something is 'the dog's...' (often gentrified as 'the mutt's nuts') would suggest it is the best there is. Legend has it that in the 1950s, construction kits like Meccano would be sold in boxes of various sizes. The list of contents which came with the standard size box would be headed 'Box, Standard' (which elided into 'bog standard' when spoken) and the larger box was the 'Box, Deluxe' which was spoonerised to create the phrase 'The Dog's B******s'. This is such a satisfying explanation for two common forms of British English usage that one really wants it to be true.

The word's probable derivation is so non-vulgar as to be quite amusing. Specifically, a bollock is a pulley-block at the head of a topmast, otherwise known as a bullock block. This was used to great effect to prevent the Sex Pistols' album Never Mind the ******** from being censored. A refreshing example of the legal system grabbing hold of the wrong reason and using it to do the right thing.
Old 16-03-06, 02:24 PM   #159
keithd

Children tend to hate sprouts (and other green veg for that matter) because as your taste buds develop the ones which detect bitterness form first (to deter the munching of Yew trees and the like) and therefore the slight bitterness of all veg is accentuated. It's most likely that childhood dislikes would now be grown out of if you're an adult. Scientists have aslo proven that the average human requires only 10 tastes of something it initially dislikes for it to become accustomed to it and actually like it.

For example, if you take sugar in coffee and accidentally take a swig without sugar it tastes foul. If you were then to take ten or so sips your taste buds would adjust and stop looking for the sweetness you'd expect and you could enjoy the rest of the cup.

Too often we deny ourselves the pleasure of tasting new foods or revisiting past dislikes based on assumptions and memories whereas in reality we're capable of liking anything that is edible and non-toxic.
Old 16-03-06, 02:56 PM   #160
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd
the average human requires only 10 tastes of something it initially dislikes for it to become accustomed to it and actually like it.
That is absolutely priceless information. I am going to have a chat to someone about that tonight.

Believe me! You'll get used to it!

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote