SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Guildford Massive For the Guildford Guys N Girls.

Old 27-07-07, 04:01 PM   #1
Sideshow#36

Default Hi Guys. Im Back.

Hello all. Well im back from the sunnier places filled with sand that my work decide to send me to help against the war on terror!
I know I didnt get to meet most of you as I only really just joined the site before I went away. Well due to the ammount of time i'm away I'm giving up road riding for a while.... and going Minitwins racing next year.
The bike is now stripped and just waiting for new gucci parts to arrive.
Just a quick one too. I removed the exhaust system today and surprise surprise the ravvages of wet british salt filled roads has corroded my downpipe bolts that locate into the front of the cylinder... Well you guessed it, they have both sheared! BUGGER! Any of you guys experienced it before? Cheers all. Sideshow 46
Old 27-07-07, 04:47 PM   #2
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Default Re: Hi Guys. Im Back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow46 View Post
Hello all. Well im back from the sunnier places filled with sand that my work decide to send me to help against the war on terror!
I know I didnt get to meet most of you as I only really just joined the site before I went away. Well due to the ammount of time i'm away I'm giving up road riding for a while.... and going Minitwins racing next year.
The bike is now stripped and just waiting for new gucci parts to arrive.
Just a quick one too. I removed the exhaust system today and surprise surprise the ravvages of wet british salt filled roads has corroded my downpipe bolts that locate into the front of the cylinder... Well you guessed it, they have both sheared! BUGGER! Any of you guys experienced it before? Cheers all. Sideshow 46

Ah welcome back to the GM! Hope the minitwin racing goes well next year, keep us updated with how you're getting on.

As for the exhaust studs yes i have experienced them shearing off and they're a nightmare to sort how much of the stud is showing?
Old 27-07-07, 05:57 PM   #3
Sideshow#36

Unfortunately there is only about 2-3mm. I have so far tried the blowtorch and mole grips method but there didnt seem to be enough purchase and they just kept slipping. I dont think the welding a nut onto the bolt option is possible as it would be too close to the casing. So I may try the slow and steady option of centre punching it and drilling.
Old 27-07-07, 06:10 PM   #4
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

What about a stud remover? might not be enough stud showing for thta though
Old 27-07-07, 07:22 PM   #5
Sideshow#36

DOUBLE BUGGER!!!! I centre punched the remaining bit of the bolt, began drilling. Yeah it went through at a steady rate and everything looked cushdy. Well nope not really. I drifted off and went in at an awful angle! Still tryed the easyout anyway and had to give that up due to being so far off it was actually pushing against the engine casing itself . Oh dear oh dear. Anybody know of a decent mobile engineer or mechainc? Cheers.
Old 28-07-07, 09:32 AM   #6
falc

Hey Sideshow, welcome back and glad your back in on piece

Can't really offer much help with the exhaust bolts, sounds like its pretty far gone, good luck with it though and keep us updated with the racing
Old 28-07-07, 08:16 PM   #7
trickywoos

Hey Sideshow, which minitwin series are you riding in? Bemsee or NG?
Old 28-07-07, 09:43 PM   #8
Sideshow#36

The bemsee. Seems a more competative series.
Old 29-07-07, 03:33 PM   #9
trickywoos

Agreed. Do they allow Ducati 800s to join the minitwins in Bemsee? They're a nightmare! LOL!!

Best of luck mate, hope it goes well for you!

(P.S If you need racing bits and pieces, my friend Opsman had his racing career end early this year, and may have some bits and pieces available- might be worth dropping him a pm, or heading to www.rudebike.co.uk )
Old 29-07-07, 03:47 PM   #10
Sideshow#36

Cheers for the link. Yeah I think that they are letting in Air Cooled rubbsh macinary in this year..... (Wife Clips me swiftly round the earhole, She has a Monster 600!) So I take it you have/are/going to race?