SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-10-07, 05:14 PM   #31
sarah

Default Re: The running thread!

I just ran 1.5 miles with no walking for the first time ever so I'm feeling very pleased with myself. Also tried out my new (proper)trainers and socks
Old 08-10-07, 05:19 PM   #32
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
I just ran 1.5 miles with no walking for the first time ever so I'm feeling very pleased with myself. Also tried out my new (proper)trainers and socks
Congratulations!! Well done that woman!! There'll be no stopping you now!!
Old 08-10-07, 05:58 PM   #33
sinbad

Quote:
Well done
Old 08-10-07, 07:14 PM   #34
krhall

Quote:
Nice one - How did it feel?

So what do you think of proper trainers and socks then?
Old 08-10-07, 09:13 PM   #35
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
Nice one - How did it feel?

So what do you think of proper trainers and socks then?
Not too bad, I was obviously a bit more out of breath than if I had done some walking too. Feeling sooo pleased with myself. I know it's not far but it's a world away from what I could do only a matter of weeks ago.

Was difficult to tell how much better the trainers/socks are, I think a longer distance will make more of a difference, was v nice to have the extra impact absorption though. These are the trainers I got.
Old 08-10-07, 10:06 PM   #36
krhall

Nice shoes, are they for a neutral gait?

Listen everyone has to start somewhere and this time last year I wouldn't have been able to have run a whole mile without a couple of stops. You should be proud of your achievement, no matter how small you think it is. Let your confidence grow from this, next time you won't be able to let yourself walk because you know you don't have to.

What is your aim, just general fitness?

Just be careful as the nights a drawing in and if you are out running in the dark just try to keep your wits about you.

Well done.
Old 08-10-07, 10:16 PM   #37
sarah

Quote:
Nice shoes, are they for a neutral gait?

Listen everyone has to start somewhere and this time last year I wouldn't have been able to have run a whole mile without a couple of stops. You should be proud of your achievement, no matter how small you think it is. Let your confidence grow from this, next time you won't be able to let yourself walk because you know you don't have to.

What is your aim, just general fitness?

Just be careful as the nights a drawing in and if you are out running in the dark just try to keep your wits about you.

Well done.
Yup, the bloke in the shop said I could wear neutral trainers (after making me walk around the shop barefoot and looking at my feet, ankles and old trainers).

Just general fitness. Going snowboarding in January and want to be fit for that. Haven't got any goals, not really sure what to aim for.

Where I've been running is all well lit so should be fine.
Old 09-10-07, 07:25 AM   #38
krhall

Sorry I sound like a right old man don't I.

You are doing well though, might be worth thinking about trying to give yourself a reachable goal to work towards it will help get you out of the house when you don't much feel like it.

If you can do 1.5 miles now, then a 10k is a really realistic target for you to work towards, there are loads of them www.runnersworld.co.uk/events having a goal will help you maintain a focus. It helped me, I found it difficult just to plod on with no goal.

I only started to get some exercise as I was a lazy git and 10 months later I have run close to a 1000 miles and am training for a marathon. Not in a million years did I think that possible.
Old 09-10-07, 08:11 AM   #39
sarah

Quote:
Sorry I sound like a right old man don't I.

You are doing well though, might be worth thinking about trying to give yourself a reachable goal to work towards it will help get you out of the house when you don't much feel like it.

If you can do 1.5 miles now, then a 10k is a really realistic target for you to work towards, there are loads of them www.runnersworld.co.uk/events having a goal will help you maintain a focus. It helped me, I found it difficult just to plod on with no goal.

I only started to get some exercise as I was a lazy git and 10 months later I have run close to a 1000 miles and am training for a marathon. Not in a million years did I think that possible.

I think you are probably right about having a goal. I'm just not sure what is achievable in what sort of time scale.

I have a goal each day that I go out, like reducing the walking or upping the distance or being a bit faster/less slow.
Old 09-10-07, 08:24 AM   #40
krhall

Run at a pace that you are comfortable with and don't increase your distance too much at any point.

10k is definitely achievable for you if you can do 1.5 without stopping now, timescale maybe March. Find something that you fancy doing then make that your goal, read the reviews as you would like a nice friendly run as your first one and if possible a flat one.

The races I have done have been friendly and very welcoming to novices like me and generally there is a huge mix from pro's (32 minute 10k's) to the other end of the scale old people crossing things off their 'Things to do before we die list' (1:53 10k). I'm generally in the middle somewhere with people running past me who look like they can barely stand up, but my achievment is still great.

The sense of achievement you get when you do something that you have only ever heard people talking about is immense and no doubt why I have since carried on.

Best bit of advice though is don't listen to a fellow novice like me, ED is probably better to listen too as he has done quite a bit of running. I can only speak from my 10 months worth of experience.