SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-12-19, 10:33 AM   #7781
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

With separate coil packs the 5000 ohm resistor is normally integral in the spark plug body and the plug will have an 'R' in it if it is an NGK - the denso iridium plug below also has a resistor ( don't know how that is designated in a denso ) and a platinum slug on the ground electrode

https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/denso-spark-plug-vnh27z

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 10:41 AM   #7782
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
With separate coil packs the 5000 ohm resistor is normally integral in the spark plug body and the plug will have an 'R' in it if it is an NGK - the denso iridium plug below also has a resistor ( don't know how that is designated in a denso ) and a platinum slug on the ground electrode

https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/denso-spark-plug-vnh27z
Yes but makers still use another 5k ohms resistor in the Plug caps where designated. It's a Legacy thing. It does no harm for them to,"Double-Up" but you can use non-resistor Plug caps if you/we are using,"R" designated Spark plugs.

I used non-resistor Caps on my old Hondas but with,"Resistor" plugs
Old 03-12-19, 10:45 AM   #7783
admin
John T
Mega Poster

With regard to the coil sticks. If you go with another type just make sure you get a good seal on the front cylinders so that water doesn't get down to the plug. I'm not sure that there's a drain hole like the SV.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-19, 10:48 AM   #7784
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
With regard to the coil sticks. If you go with another type just make sure you get a good seal on the front cylinders so that water doesn't get down to the plug. I'm not sure that there's a drain hole like the SV.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
+10

I made my own seals out of some old bike inner-tube and also coat my plugs caps with ACF50

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 03-12-19 at 10:49 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 11:02 AM   #7785
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Yes but makers still use another 5k ohms resistor in the Plug caps where designated. It's a Legacy thing. It does no harm for them to,"Double-Up" but you can use non-resistor Plug caps if you/we are using,"R" designated Spark plugs.

I used non-resistor Caps on my old Hondas but with,"Resistor" plugs
Interesting article http://www.ultralightnews.ca/article...psandplugs.htm

The resistor is used to control the rate of rise of current once the arc is started ( the voltage will build up until it reaches a critical voltage to jump the gap, but until the arc actually starts the resistor does nothing because there is no current flowing - rather like a neon with a dropper resistor ) the rate of rise of current is what causes interference to be radiated. So the bigger the resistance the slower to current builds ( it takes longer to discharge the energy stored in the magnetic core of the coil ) , the longer the spark lasts but the spark is weaker - and any contamination of plug with high resistance in circuit is really bad news - so the amount of resistance in circuit is pretty important, which is why ( as you have advised in the past R1ffR4ff ) check the 5K resistance of the plug caps on SV's and if they are approaching or over 8K replace the cap... good advice.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 03-12-19 at 11:03 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 11:11 AM   #7786
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Interesting article http://www.ultralightnews.ca/article...psandplugs.htm

The resistor is used to control the rate of rise of current once the arc is started ( the voltage will build up until it reaches a critical voltage to jump the gap, but until the arc actually starts the resistor does nothing because there is no current flowing - rather like a neon with a dropper resistor ) the rate of rise of current is what causes interference to be radiated. So the bigger the resistance the slower to current builds ( it takes longer to discharge the energy stored in the magnetic core of the coil ) , the longer the spark lasts but the spark is weaker - and any contamination - so the amount of resistance in circuit is pretty important, which is why ( as you have advised in the past R1ffR4ff ) check the 5K resistance of the plug caps on SV's and if they are approaching or over 8K replace the cap... good advice.
Some of the early CDI Ignition systems had timing trouble caused by the Back EMF from when as you say the,"Voltage Jump" spark occurred.

The first solution around the late 1970s was the introduction of the,"Resistor Plug Cap" but within a couple of years Manufacturers started making Resistor Spark plugs so in reality the Resistor Spark plug Caps became redundant.

It's very very hard to find any non resistor Spark plug Caps or Spark plugs these days as I suspect all the machinery was dis-guarded and it's most likely just as cheap to make the Resistor types of both.

I personally dislike the,"R" type plugs caps as they are over-bloated with contact points that can corrode with age and striation:/

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 03-12-19 at 11:14 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 06:13 PM   #7787
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Western power did a survey of the overhead mains power lines running across the bottom of our garden about 5 months ago as my neighbour has a large oak in very close proximity.
"We'll be back to trim the tree" they said "good" said I "but give us plenty of notice"

So we've just got back from a two day trip to Northampton to an answerphone message giving us less than a days notice of the work. I can also see a frustrated worker knocking on our door trying to gain access on our security camera.

I've no idea if the work has been done as it's too dark to see. If it has then they'd better not be any damage to my property.

Sorry to rant here but the stupidity of this really annoys me. A little more planning would would save everyone a lot of wasted time and effort.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-19, 06:25 PM   #7788
Grant66

We changed suppliers and the cheapest EON tariff required a "smart" meter.

So guy turns up to fit said meter. Couldn't fit it as the meter was incompatible. Left saying he'd pass it onto the change team.

Change team arrive a few weeks later, can't fit it because the electricity consumer unit is in the way. Goes away, saying they'll be in touch.

They then schedule another visit. Guy turns up and says, he can't fit the meter because the consumer unit is in the way. Told him we already knew that & you were supposed to sort that out.

"You need to contact the electricity suppliers to move the electrics."

The electricity is supplied by...

EON.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 06:34 PM   #7789
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant66 View Post
We changed suppliers and the cheapest EON tariff required a "smart" meter.

So guy turns up to fit said meter. Couldn't fit it as the meter was incompatible. Left saying he'd pass it onto the change team.

Change team arrive a few weeks later, can't fit it because the electricity consumer unit is in the way. Goes away, saying they'll be in touch.

They then schedule another visit. Guy turns up and says, he can't fit the meter because the consumer unit is in the way. Told him we already knew that & you were supposed to sort that out.

"You need to contact the electricity suppliers to move the electrics."

The electricity is supplied by...

EON.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Lol. You can't make it up.

I've just checked the tree, it has been trimmed but I can't see any mess.

On one occasion many years ago they were due to give this tree a trim. They came without notice and whilst I was at home. I only noticed when I looked out of the rear window and noticed my daughter's plastic toy slide was next to the fence under the tree. They used it as a stool to hop over the fence. They also broke the fence. Of course this long after they'd buggered off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-19, 08:15 PM   #7790
SVSte

Having to use the bike for work at the moment sick of all the salt on the roads, ride then wash every day, at least it looking good still, anyone use a bike dryer after washing there bike?