SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-12-12, 06:20 PM   #1
quik_d

Default Pointy complete electrical failure.

Hi all,

Got anode problem with the pointy, rode it to work on Tuesday, no issues whatsoever, went to ride it home at 6pm and no power to the bike at all. First assumption was fuse or battery. Checked all fuses under the seat ( with multimeter) and they all check out. Battery is about 2 weeks old, but have tried the old one as well, so no issues there.

I am thinking either:
  • There is a fuse somewhere other than under the seat I don't know about
  • The ignition switch has packed up
  • The ecu has gone kaput (I hope not!)
  • The main ignition relay is playing up

So, any other ideas or advise on what to look for?
Old 23-12-12, 06:27 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: No power to bike, checked the usual suspects??

No power at all, these woud be my first checks.

battery connections not tight.
30 amp fuse on the solenoid or solenoid itself.
green plug pin on ignition loom (under the front of the tank).
kill switch.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-12, 06:45 PM   #3
Shawthing

My money is on:

Non arbores caesa suum mittere nuntius, sed magnum numerum electrons uehementissime incommo.
Shawthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-12, 09:21 PM   #4
jchu1988

Have you checked the ignition wires?
I say this as someone tried to hotwire my bike not too long ago and only didn't manage it as they blew the fuse under the rider's seat...
jchu1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-12, 11:30 PM   #5
quik_d

Thanks for the responses so far, I have checked the starter fuse and all ok, I have checked the ignition switch wires right up till they go under the tank and no tampering, plus it was parked in the work courtyard so don't think anyone would be trying to jack it.

Shawthing what is that plug, what does it do, where is it and why is it scorched?

Cheers!

D

Last edited by quik_d; 23-12-12 at 11:35 PM.
Old 23-12-12, 11:59 PM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

that green plug is on the end of the ignition wire loom, found under the front of the tank when lifted (as said above), known to corrode and in some cases ark and burn.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-12, 11:56 AM   #7
Shawthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik_d View Post
Thanks for the responses so far, I have checked the starter fuse and all ok, I have checked the ignition switch wires right up till they go under the tank and no tampering, plus it was parked in the work courtyard so don't think anyone would be trying to jack it.

Shawthing what is that plug, what does it do, where is it and why is it scorched?

Cheers!

D

Yes as Rictus says, Transfers virtually all power through the ignittion barrel and if water gets in to it the contacts get corroded and becomes resistive disipating a fair amount of power making the connecctor get hot , the plastic melts until the connection goes open circuit.

A bit of a pain to get to so try everything else first.

To get to mine i had to lift and prop the tank up, take the top off the airbox, release/loosen the two screws holding the bottom of the airbox onto the throttle bodies. Then you can lift the bottom of the airbox and move it backwards (you may need to temporarily disconnect some airbox connectors and pipes to move the airbox fully back). Then you should be able to get at the green connector and lift it upwards.

If you find it to be hte problem then depending on level of damage you then need to decide what to do. Clean off corrosion on pins, Bypass wiring, replace connector, hardwire ignittion barrel to loom?
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=168184

Non arbores caesa suum mittere nuntius, sed magnum numerum electrons uehementissime incommo.

Last edited by Shawthing; 24-12-12 at 12:04 PM.
Shawthing is offline   Reply With Quote