SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 18-06-12, 07:20 PM   #361
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: New Avon Storm Ultra's

never played with the pressures so might give that a go. i have the bike set up lovely for touring it's bit softer but still in control and well better that the soggy standard suspension so that might have something to do with it but i doubt it.

might give the pr3's a go next as only complaints i have been told is weird braking issues with the front but that's when really pushing them.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-12, 07:21 PM   #362
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I've got a rear one on and it seems ok but I was too out of practice to really push them. Felt OK on tight bumpy stuff but dunno about fast sweepers, think that might be where they'll melt.
Old 19-06-12, 06:23 AM   #363
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

I switched to the roadsmarts two sets ago and haven't gone back since.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-12, 06:22 PM   #364
Bibio
Mega Poster

well that's the rear on the TWI so its time for a new one. 6,750 miles could have gone another cppl hundred but i would rather play safe. since i got a new front about 2,000 miles ago then i'm going to replace the rear with another ultra and if all goes well then they should both wear out together. i sorted the sliding issues and it was my suspension that was at fault so i'll see how it goes but i'm seriously considering the Metz Z8's or Mitch PR3's next.
Old 25-07-12, 07:14 PM   #365
rictus01
Mega Poster

done 930 miles this passed weekend on the ultra's, even the massive 2 hour down pour didn't upset them at all, on visual inspection they look like new, I'm on close to 5k with this set and look to be on track for that again before they need replacing, although I'm a little bored with them (having had so many sets), I just can't find anything with the blend of consistent wet & dry performance allied to the longevity , so until I do or Avon replace them I guess I'm stuck, mind you I can think of worse things....

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-12, 07:27 PM   #366
dyzio
Mega Poster

Mark,
Did you have a chance to compare them to Michelin's PR2's or 3 ?
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-12, 07:50 PM   #367
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
done 930 miles this passed weekend on the ultra's, even the massive 2 hour down pour didn't upset them at all, on visual inspection they look like new, I'm on close to 5k with this set and look to be on track for that again before they need replacing, although I'm a little bored with them (having had so many sets), I just can't find anything with the blend of consistent wet & dry performance allied to the longevity , so until I do or Avon replace them I guess I'm stuck, mind you I can think of worse things....

Cheers Mark.
i'm sure that you sprinkle your tyres with fairy dust before every ride

i think my biggest problem getting decent wear rates is horsing out the corners and cracking the throttle open at every given opportunity. maybe its time i started to calm down
Old 25-07-12, 07:52 PM   #368
rictus01
Mega Poster

yes I did, a friend has a cbr 600f with PR2 on it which I've ridden in all conditions, he doesn't do my mileage so hard to be accurate but we both think they will give about 7-8k max ( a couple of thousand less than the Ultra's) and I find them a little numb and that's what I use in wet and slippy conditions, although they do work as well as the ultra's in the wet they just don't "talk to me" in the same way, the PR3's I can't see having the longevity as they are chopped into smaller chunks (obviously to heatup quicker), but they do have more feel than the previous PR2's.

Cheers Mark
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Last edited by rictus01; 25-07-12 at 08:30 PM.
Old 25-07-12, 07:59 PM   #369
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i'm sure that you sprinkle your tyres with fairy dust before every ride

i think my biggest problem getting decent wear rates is horsing out the corners and cracking the throttle open at every given opportunity. maybe its time i started to calm down
yes I'm a very slow, old biking cripple, mind you; you lot of ridding god seem to have difficulty keeping up, I'm guessing clipons must weight about 200kg a set these days ?

or of course taking corners efficiently and not loosing speed, treating my tyres correctly might have something to do with it.........

Cheers Mark.
Old 25-07-12, 08:45 PM   #370
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
yes I'm a very slow, old biking cripple, mind you; you lot of ridding god seem to have difficulty keeping up, I'm guessing clipons must weight about 200kg a set these days ?

or of course taking corners efficiently and not loosing speed, treating my tyres correctly might have something to do with it.........

Cheers Mark.

Nope, didn't quite keep up this weekend (only a car or three behind) but didn't find mine doing anything silly in either in the wet or the dry. Hey they even overtook the old cripple......................................but only because I'd run out of fuel

I like tyres that say things too. Lovely combination when cranked over in the wet, that are so glued they beg to go further. Not sure how long they'd last on the VRap, as they can be very hungry on rubber, but then I don't get out that much, so probably last around 5 years

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 25-07-12 at 08:47 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote