SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 16-01-10, 11:08 AM   #1
Lucas

Default DSLR - Second hand vs New

I want to get a DSLR without spending lots of money so am looking into a Canon 20D on recommandations, cheap at £150-£200 on fleebay body only and will need another £150-£200 for a ok len, total £400ish. looking around at new DSLR, Nikon's D3000 inc lens for £380! with lots of function etc.

I know the Canon 20D is a older mid range camera but with well built metal body costing £1000 5 years ago, while the D3000 is a entry camera with lots plastic and the latest tech for only £380. Will the quaility of photos from both be similar? will I need all the techy functions on the D3000? Will I get better result from a older mid range camera? so if am to invest in a DSLR, which one should I go for?

cheers!

Last edited by Lucas; 16-01-10 at 11:15 AM.
Old 16-01-10, 11:29 AM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: DSLR - Second hand vs New

I bought the Nikon D90 in the week, apparently the D300 has the same processor etc as the D90, so i am obviously biased towards Nikon.
Not being an expert im probably not best to advise but im sure either will give you quality pics

Phil
Old 16-01-10, 11:35 AM   #3
boot

There's lots to check on a second hand DSLR, but if the shutter count is reasonably low, there's no hot/dead pixels and it looks like it's been well looked after, I'd probably go for second hand, having bought a 'lower in the range' new one and not had the reddies for better glass.

Shoot a white wall, and take a shot with the lens cap on. Study image for any pixels that might show up.

Might be worth checking online to see if there's a local online forum that you could buy from, where you can see the goods properly first, as opposed to ebay.
Old 16-01-10, 11:43 AM   #4
mr.anderson

I am no expert, but here's my 2p.

I have (also) just bought a D90, great, lots of functionality. My dad has a 4 year old D200 which is definitely superior.

It's clearly apparent that the D200 is a pro camera, whilst the D90 is more of an enthusiast camera. Immediately perceptible as you pick it up and even more so with continued use.

EDIT: Not that I would ever reach the limits of my D90...

Last edited by mr.anderson; 16-01-10 at 11:45 AM.
mr.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-10, 12:33 PM   #5
Spikenipple

Get a Micro four thirds camera like the Panasonic Lumix GF1. Performance of a DSLR, convenience of a compact!

My old SV

South & West Surfer
Spikenipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-10, 08:43 PM   #6
Lucas

thanks for the tips!

put it this way, which one would you go for, the Canon 20D or Nikon D3000?
Old 16-01-10, 09:03 PM   #7
speedplay

My 2 pence worth:-

Jenns just got me the canon 1000D brand new with a few extras and another lens it came to £600.

A guy at work just bought the canon 40D and a few bits second hand for £600..

Both of us are new to using DSLR and were chatting about it at work on friday, we also both had then in the cars with us.

Boys being boys, we both had a bit of a fettle with both cameras and the 40D obviously is a more expensive camera aimed at either someone who knows what they are doing or someone who wants a bloody nice camera!

After playing with both cameras we both came to the same conclusion..

We will never stop learning to use the camera we have got.

Its nice to have a brand new toy to play with (and warranty etc) but if you can find a decent second hand one, you will get more for your money.
Old 16-01-10, 09:39 PM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

My backup for the last 3 years is/has been 20D, if this isn't imminent you're more than welcome to borrow it for a few days to have a play although it only currently carries a kit 18-55mm lens, but it should give you some idea on what it's like to use.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-10, 09:41 PM   #9
kwak zzr

my sony @230 dslr was only £350 but sony are offering a £50 cash back at the moment on all camera bodys and lenses.
Old 16-01-10, 09:43 PM   #10
speedplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
my sony @230 dslr was only £350 but sony are offering a £50 cash back at the moment on all camera bodys and lenses.
nikkon are doing the same deal on the D3000.