SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Cyclists 2 abreast on busy country roads (see post)?
Absolutely fine. 14 56.00%
Inconsiderate. 11 44.00%
keth d . Everyone dies. 0 0%
Keith double D I cocked up the poll 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-20, 09:20 PM   #31
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Cyclists riding 2 abreast on busy country roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

whats wrong with cyclist groups pulling over when they know there is a large queue forming behind them... jezz even caravan towers have this courtesy.
Pretty sure that bit is in the highway code!Agreed
Old 01-06-20, 09:25 PM   #32
Chris_SVS

^It is not
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 09:26 PM   #33
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
No. Defensive riding (solo or abreast) is done for a reason, to discourage overtakes when unsafe, and to make actual overtakes shorter - thus easier for the overtaking vehicle. Good example of this is approaching pinch points like pedestrian islands, I will move purposely to centre of the lane to prevent being squeezed. Rewatch my video from yesterday, had there been oncoming traffic I would have been positioned differently.

The secondary reason for abreast riding is sharing of the work, a group is constantly rotating anticlockwise around itself. Doing so 3 abreast is not illegal, but simply isn't practical.

The fact that some drivers (and riders - referring back to R1 rider) respond to this with aggressive and poorly thought overtakes is really the fault of the training and licencing system, perhaps just total lack of giving a sheite.
That one I don't mind (on your own), you're in control and can move into the space you created if really needed. You couldn't do that with another cyclist up your inside. It gives you more presence.
I don't buy the abreast as a defensive manouvre though, maybe in a large large group so there's less distance foir overtakers to pass but I don't think causing a massive obstruction should be used in any 'strategy'.
Old 01-06-20, 09:28 PM   #34
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
^It is not
**** me I just googled it.

I don't think you'll like the result.

OK not technically 'illegal' but illadvised is the below:

Rule 66 of the Highway Code states that cyclists “should never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends”.

In addition, rule 68 says cyclists “MUST NOT ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner”.

And not forgetting

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

Last edited by Dave20046; 01-06-20 at 09:32 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 09:30 PM   #35
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
**** me I just googled it.

I don't think you'll like the result.
Go on
Old 01-06-20, 09:31 PM   #36
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
That one I don't mind (on your own), you're in control and can move into the space you created if really needed. You couldn't do that with another cyclist up your inside. It gives you more presence.
I don't buy the abreast as a defensive manouvre though, maybe in a large large group so there's less distance foir overtakers to pass but I don't think causing a massive obstruction should be used in any 'strategy'.
Two abreast riders and/or groups quite easily adjust road position.

ps: 169 refers to driving, not cyclists.

ps: cyclists are traffic

ps: 66 is advice and as I have already said, riding 3 abreast has no practical purpose.

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 01-06-20 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-06-20, 09:33 PM   #37
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Go on
Editted above.

It helps my sanity. Perhaps doesn't completely settle the debate but settles my mind.
Old 01-06-20, 10:49 PM   #38
Ruffy

Quote:
i dont think they should be off the road i think they should be more aware and courteous. FTR i have nothing against cyclists.
My statement on that wasn't aimed at you. Apologies for my lack of clarity.

Quote:
i dont have shizzy attitude. ask pretty much any orger that has met me.
I now we haven't met but from experience on this forum I would agree. This thread though is the most extreme presentation of opinion from you that I have seen. Thankfully I know it's not typical of your general approach.

Quote:
ooohhh and shoot lycra clads..
Bang, I'm dead.
Lycra is comfortable for pedalling. But I don't wear skin tight tops or replica kit - that is unnecessary for recreation!

Quote:
as with other asswipes i have no time for Rossi wanabeezzz either. i hate to say this on a bike forum but a large majority of bikers have a serious attitude. not the folk on this forum though who are solid minded individuals.

i like to ride fast i have no qualms admitting that but only when i know it safe to do so. unlike the power rangers.
+1, wholeheartedly! As mentioned in my earlier post.

Quote:
now that just pizzes of car drivers. i ride Defensibly on the bike but more to show my visibility. if you done that to me i give you a mouthful. who the fuk taught you to do that..

most drivers give cyclists a wide berth and we are not to bothered by cyclists until said cyclist starts pulling stunts like that.
It's called primary position and,like it or not, is part of mainstream cycle training nowadays, e.g. see Bikeability, the DfT sponsored national training programme

Sadly my experience (c.10 year all year cycle commuting, including along single carriageway NSL) is that most car drivers don't give cyclists a wide enough berth, many are pushy, inconsiderate and short sighted, to say the least, so there has to be some attempt to influence them by adopting road positioning that discourages or prevents poor manoeuvres. (Thankfully only one car lost its wing mirror because it hit my handlebar end as it tried to rush past me but there were many more that felt almost as close, it was a routine experience. I was much less concerned by HGV drivers, usually far more observant and considerate. And if traffic was heavy both ways then I would regularly pull over to let those behind me flow past again.)
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 11:48 PM   #39
21QUEST
Mega Poster

I'm a 10000% with Chris_SVS

Reading quite a few of the posts, it's not a surprise, cyclist would choose to ride two abreast.

I've never really had a problem with cyclist...singly, two abreast or whatever permutation...

I tend to think, people who have that much of an issue
with cyclist, either need to get additional driver/rider training or just chill the feck out... excuse my French

To be frank, I tend to ride shutgun for cyclists, having seen how impatient and stupid a lot of drivers can be....putting themselves or worse, the cyclist, in harms way.
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 11:53 PM   #40
Bibio
Mega Poster

fek me this thread has braught them out the woodwork.. howdo quest..

ohh and your taught to ride in the middle of your side of the road in the motorbike training/test but it dont make it the right thing to do.. any experienced rider will tell you its the wrong thing to do.

anyway i think we should ban all pushbikes....
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote