SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-01-20, 11:38 AM   #1
Thaleshwar

Default Flushing coolant system

Hi, As I am considering coolant change in my SV650S K6, I studied online resources (google, YouTube.. all usual), everywhere it’s said or mentioned to flush coolant system by ‘pouring’ the distilled water, except Haynes service manual that I have for my model and year that reads (Page 1.30) QUOTE: Flush the system with clean ‘tap water’ by inserting a garden hose in the radiator filler neck:UNQUOTE to me flushing with garden hose does make sense as it exerts some pressure instead of pouring, but dilemma is cleaning with tap water vs distilled water, personally I feel it should not do any or much harm, am I right in following Haynes manual which is well respected? Kindly comment
Thaleshwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-20, 11:48 AM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Flushing coolant system

IIRC the coolant system only holds a couple of litres, so even if you don't get all the tap water out it's not going to be a high volume that will cause issues later on.
You'll know how much is in there when you fill it all up and measure how much you have left in the jug of the total volume.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-20, 04:16 PM   #3
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaleshwar View Post
Hi, As I am considering coolant change in my SV650S K6, I studied online resources (google, YouTube.. all usual), everywhere it’s said or mentioned to flush coolant system by ‘pouring’ the distilled water, except Haynes service manual that I have for my model and year that reads (Page 1.30) QUOTE: Flush the system with clean ‘tap water’ by inserting a garden hose in the radiator filler neck:UNQUOTE to me flushing with garden hose does make sense as it exerts some pressure instead of pouring, but dilemma is cleaning with tap water vs distilled water, personally I feel it should not do any or much harm, am I right in following Haynes manual which is well respected? Kindly comment
See other reply/s and don't forget to follow the instructions to,"Burp" the system by running the engine up to the Thermostat opening and watching inside the Rad cap/level for bubbles( I use a Torch/Lamp) whilst sat on the bike and rocking it a little from side-to-side as per the Manual. You want NO air in the system!

Then let then engine cool and check the level and top-up as needed.
Old 25-01-20, 06:56 PM   #4
Thaleshwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
See other reply/s and don't forget to follow the instructions to,"Burp" the system by running the engine up to the Thermostat opening and watching inside the Rad cap/level for bubbles( I use a Torch/Lamp) whilst sat on the bike and rocking it a little from side-to-side as per the Manual. You want NO air in the system!

Then let then engine cool and check the level and top-up as needed.
Thanks for pointing it out, I had learnt about it but had slipped out of my mind, and may have forgotten when doing the change, but this will remind me 👍
Old 25-01-20, 07:00 PM   #5
Thaleshwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
IIRC the coolant system only holds a couple of litres, so even if you don't get all the tap water out it's not going to be a high volume that will cause issues later on.
You'll know how much is in there when you fill it all up and measure how much you have left in the jug of the total volume.
Thank you, you are right, I too had same thing in mind but was wanting to see the general opinion, as per the owner’s manual it takes 1700ml when doing coolant drain and change, so will keep an eye
Old 25-01-20, 07:27 PM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaleshwar View Post
Thanks for pointing it out, I had learnt about it but had slipped out of my mind, and may have forgotten when doing the change, but this will remind me 👍
Be careful though because as soon as you are happy that you have all the air out switch the engine off as the coolant level will rise and at a certain temperature and overflow and can scald!
Old 25-01-20, 08:50 PM   #7
Thaleshwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Be careful though because as soon as you are happy that you have all the air out switch the engine off as the coolant level will rise and at a certain temperature and overflow and can scald!
Thanks for the alert, I shall surely be careful 👍
Old 26-01-20, 01:43 AM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

unless your going to use some fancy coolant (not recommended) then no need to flush, just drain the old stuff out and fill with new stuff. use halfords red (pink) premix and you will be fine.

as far as i'm aware you can mix the blue and red coolant so a tiny little bit of old coolant left in the system is not going to make much odds, do you think a dealer would flush... fek no that takes time. its only those waterless coolants you need to be careful with and i would not recommend using them.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 07:07 PM   #9
SV650rules
Mega Poster

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/en...reeze-2-litres

Used this for years, get the premixed stuff, not widely known but 50/50 mix gives best antifreeze protection as above and below that ratio raises the freezing point.. it is not really the anti freeze glycol bit that wears out, it is the anti corrosion package..

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/en...reeze-5-litres
Works out cheaper per litre to buy 5 litre premixed but if you don't need it for anything else may be a waste..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 26-01-20 at 07:10 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 07:23 PM   #10
Thaleshwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
unless your going to use some fancy coolant (not recommended) then no need to flush, just drain the old stuff out and fill with new stuff. use halfords red (pink) premix and you will be fine.

as far as i'm aware you can mix the blue and red coolant so a tiny little bit of old coolant left in the system is not going to make much odds, do you think a dealer would flush... fek no that takes time. its only those waterless coolants you need to be careful with and i would not recommend using them.
Many thanks for the advice; I bought the coolant this afternoon from Halfords, waiting for spark plugs to come through in post, as want to do spark plugs, air filter and coolant at the same time, oil and filter was done in 2018 and bike has not done 1000 miles since, so will change them next year.