SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-10-08, 08:39 PM   #1
Baph

Default Random question for the IT bods...

Well, it's as random as I can think to be honest.

Anyone know the probable legal outcome for breaching security on a social engineering network site? The extent of the breach was a single account, and no, it wasn't me what did it...

Technically, it wasn't a cracked/hacked account, but that's a technicality, the method of entry was social engineering on the "forgotten password" tool.

As I know it'll effect things, jurisdiction is going to be CA, US, or at best, somewhere in LA.

Personally, as it's a single account, and the account holder a very minor celebrity, I'm putting my money on a fine & possibly community work.

What do you lot reckon?
Old 23-10-08, 08:44 PM   #2
simesb

Default Re: Random question for the IT bods...

Extradition to the US, 30 years in prison, and execution for terrorist offences. Probably.
Old 23-10-08, 08:53 PM   #3
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by simesb View Post
Extradition to the US, 30 years in prison, and execution for terrorist offences. Probably.
lmao. Trouble is, the offender lives in the US. Within the jurisdiction actually.

Also, I know of people that had had less for having full admin rights over social networking sites when they shouldn't. This is just a single account we're talking about.
Old 23-10-08, 08:55 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
I'm putting my money on a fine & possibly community work.
I'd say that sounds about right, but I guess it depends on what was done via the account once it was compromised ?

Surely the other issue here is that it was possible for it to be compromised using the lost password tool in the first place ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-08, 09:01 PM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Surely the other issue here is that it was possible for it to be compromised using the lost password tool in the first place ?
Fizz, I'll get back to you on the first question shortly, as for the one above, the password question was "What colour are my eyes?" ... for a celebrity, who has their image on google...

EDIT: Account password was changed, nothing more. No defacements, no info changed, no messages sent.

This password was also used for other sites, and they also had their password changed, for example, mail.

Last edited by Baph; 23-10-08 at 09:03 PM.
Old 23-10-08, 09:16 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Meh.. what a stupid security question...

I'd say fine and community service on that one TBH.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-08, 09:30 PM   #7
Raf

Point in question, recently someone done a similar thing to Gov. Sarah Palin, McCain's VP candidate, and a grand jury couldn't agree on charges. Now if memory serves me right the US do no have a data protection act. However, they do an intrusion act and a data storage act. As long as no damage has been done, only an incovenience was made and the rightful owner of said addresses were notified of their new password straight away he/she might get away with a slap. And by that I mean only a fine. Also depends on how much money your minor celebrity has and how big a lawyer they can hire.

If it was done from over here they might be in a world of pain very soon.