SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-11-18, 09:35 AM   #11
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Little bump in my van

I had similar a few years back. i was doing a 3 point turn. really obvious. I was moving, reverse lights on and a guy drove in behind me, being impatient, not wanting to wait for me. He said it was my fault and I said it was his and he should have waited. He pointed at water on the floor and said it came from his engine because I'd damaged it with the impact. Impossible at 1mph and I pointed out that it was a puddle and they were everywhere as it had rained not long ago and was a summers day so roads were drying quick and leaving puddles. He was trying everything to pin something on me. Not even the slightest mark on my bumper or his. We exchanged details. I never heard from him again.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-18, 10:01 AM   #12
DomP

Well I kind of had to admit it really as I didn't want to get caught up in lying or changing my story. Fact is there was not even a mark, I'd put a photo up but I forget how to on here. I still am curious as to why she seemed so close to me when I went back and it has led me and my daughter to query if she was still travelling forwards at the time. Is my daughter who's 12 a good enough witness and should I call my insurance to mention this?
Old 14-11-18, 10:30 AM   #13
Bibio
Mega Poster

something you have to remember is that each repair has to go through an assessor. its not your worry if they do have unnecessary work done. if the other person dont make a claim then thats it over and done.

an insurance company cant stop a client admitting blame.. no matter whats written in their small print. they do advise not to say anything but its entirely upto the individual what they say.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-18, 10:34 AM   #14
DomP

They didn't advise me any of that to be honest, should I call them to amend it?
Old 14-11-18, 10:38 AM   #15
Bibio
Mega Poster

your worrying about nothing. you have informed your insurance and its up to the other party to do the same. until your insurance get back to you then sit back and relax.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-18, 10:42 AM   #16
DomP

Thanks Bibio i will try to do that, I'm having a bad week and this has just added to it. I've never been in an accident that has been my fault
Old 14-11-18, 12:24 PM   #17
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

If you have a photo of their car to show there's no damage they'd be stupid to get unnecccesary work done as they may end up paying for it out of their own pocket as they shouldn't be able to claim for it. It's their risk I guess but why go to that hassle if there's nothing to fix. Even getting a car in to fix and waiting for it back is more hassle than I'd be prepared to go to for no real reason.
If it comes to it explain to your insurance that you feel they may have been moving at the time and it would be at most a 50/50 fault unless they could prove otherwise. They'd be hard pressed to prove that without a witness too I'd have thought.
I had my wife as a witness once when I was knocked off. My solicitor friend advised that she was still a witness even though related to me. So, not independent, but a witness nonetheless. It's when Police are involved that witnesses have to be independant. If it went further with you then it woud be a civil case if it really got fought long term and your daughter is a valid witness. If she had to go to court to defend you she'd be swearing to tell the truth, so would be taken seriously as a witness.
It's unlikely to come to any of this though.
As Bibio says, it's out of your hands and may come to nothing. Sit back and wait. There's nothing more you can do.
I was convinced my guy was going to try and get money out of me, but weeks and months passed and I never heard another thing.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-18, 03:39 PM   #18
DomP

Well just when I thought I was worrying about nothing my insurance have told me she is making a claim!

There's nothing to claim! I'm not convinced my insurance are fighting my corner.

How do I post a photo?
Old 14-11-18, 03:46 PM   #19
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomP View Post
I did admit it, one because there were people about, 2 because it's what happened but there was no damage and it honestly was a kid of bumpers
If the other people were not related to her and she didn't take their details it is your word against hers that you admitted liability. Anyway that is what insurance is for, as long as she doesn't claim for whiplash injuries.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-18, 03:53 PM   #20
Heorot

I'm a retired claims handler. Send the photos of her bumper to your insurer to prove there was no damage. Every little helps.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote