SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-12-08, 12:43 PM   #1
dyzio
Mega Poster

Default What's that ticking noise? :/

As some of you know, I had an off back in October. I was off road for a month, while I recovered and fixed the bike. Damage was minor, don’t know if this is related in any way to this problem, but I thought it’s worth mentioning the accident.

A month on the road and everything was fine. The problem is that about two weeks ago, I’ve noticed that there is something I can describe as a ticking noise, which starts around 20 and disappears around 40 but that is probably down to wind noise. As I accelerate it becomes faster, so I reckon it’s the wheels or the chain.
I’ve lifted the bike of the ground to check the wheel bearings, but they look ok (not loose).
This happens only under throttle so I thought it’s the chain (11k old Tsubaki with scottolier), so I’ve cleaned, lubed and re adjusted it, but that didn’t help. There are very very small tight spots on it (the previous DID chain with 18k and no scottoiler was a lot worse for tight spots but didn’t make any noises like this one).

This may sound silly, but can it have something to do with suspension adjustment, as I’ve recently played with mine (zx C1H)?
I’ve also tried removing the baffle, but that’s not a good solution
What do you think?

Cheers
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-08, 01:13 PM   #2
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Default Re: What's that ticking noise? :/

Stick the bike on the rear stand and accelerate it into about 2nd/3rd gear with you off the bike, see if the noise appears. Pull in the clutch and listen.
Check the rear caliper. Take wheel off put back on etc. Look for signs of wear where there should not be.

Feck being out on the bike the day anywayz its baltic.

Last edited by STRAMASHER; 30-12-08 at 01:14 PM. Reason: frozen fingerz
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-08, 01:44 PM   #3
thedonal

Are you sure it's speed? I find mine makes that noise between 4-5k revs. It's just part of the noise the bike makes.
Old 30-12-08, 03:03 PM   #4
dyzio
Mega Poster

It's, hmm... systematic... a "tick" sound (like one part hitting another) more or less 2 times per second, which accelerates with speed. That made me think it's something to do with wheels/chain.
What wanders me too is that it stops when I close the throttle, I'll have a test on the way back today, try different gears/rev's.
I'll need to repeat my test on the stand, last time I've tried I had the baffles out, so didn't hear much in the lock up
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote