SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-04-11, 01:04 PM   #1

Default Job Application related frustrations...

Not for me, Catherine my Wife.

She applied for a job last week which her boss suggested she apply for at a different college given the knowledge of her skills etc and how it would be ideal for her

We read the application and it was near enough exactly what she does now, every day with glowing reports all the time, she put in an excellent concise application and she has been flatly refused an interview..and they are refusing to provide any feedback as to why

I know very well they can pick who they like, but she met everyone of the criteria but I would love to know their reasonings, in fact I might well request that under the FOIM act, and see what they had to say, as a council institution I would expect a certain procedure howeber I wouldn't be half surprised if they got half way through the applicants found 10 they were interested with then shredded the rest...

When will she ever, ever catch a break..

Box of chocs for her tonight I think...
Old 07-04-11, 01:13 PM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: Job Application related frustrations...

I wouldn't be surprised to learn they are simply going through the motions. There is somebody they wish to appoint, but they have to be seen to make it available to all. Whoa betide that a candidate should be better suited than the person they already picked.
Old 07-04-11, 01:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to learn they are simply going through the motions. There is somebody they wish to appoint, but they have to be seen to make it available to all. Whoa betide that a candidate should be better suited than the person they already picked.
also a valid point.. hadn't thought that... jeeesh feck grrrrr
Old 07-04-11, 01:37 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
+1 on this,
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-11, 01:45 PM   #5
hindle8907
Mega Poster

yep, they do it at my place all the time. but still advertise else where even though they know who they are going to give it to.
2010-Now -- 00 SV650s & 00 SV650n & GSXR 600 K2
hindle8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-11, 01:49 PM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

Its probably something to do with employment law, in that, they must advertise any vacancies to the general public

My wife applied for a couple of jobs, one as a civilian desk clerk at the local OB station. But no doubt that went to someone from within
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-11, 02:00 PM   #7
metalangel

That happens in my place all the time too. They hired a very important manager, the vacancy was listed for all of three days externally, as the guy was practically doing the job already anyway.

Likewise, inferior people have been hired but all the fuss of interviews and such has been gone through just so they appear to be doing stuff on the level. In one notable instance, a temp (who everyone loved, was good at the job, was fully trained) was given the most transparent BS excuses to be turned down, while another guy was hired... who just happened to be mates with the team leader's boyfriend.
Old 07-04-11, 02:06 PM   #8
custard

councils are a nightmare for this. they will most likely have already picked someone from within and as previsouly said will be ticking a box by advertising it externaly. Unfortunately it is the same the world over...
Old 07-04-11, 02:10 PM   #9
Dicky Ticker

Best excuse I ever had was that I was "Over-qualified" and that was BAA.
I had applied for the job because I wanted an easier life but probably burned my bridges when I told them what I thought.
I happen to know that the person who did get the job was related to one of the interviewers.
Old 07-04-11, 09:22 PM   #10
missyburd

Quote:
Yep tis most common. They have to waste everyone's time and go through all the motions just to pick someone they'd lined up anyway. Gets my goat indeed. I hate job applications and interviews, as a graduate I always lose out to someone with a load more experience, how the hell am I supposed to get any experience if you won't give me any? I can't afford to give my services for free all my life lol...