SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-03-07, 11:50 AM   #1
krhall

Default Pillion First Time (Advice wanted)

I've taken the cowl off and put the seat back on so I can take the missus for a drive as she has finally plucked up the courage.

I haven't told her this but, I have never riden with a pillion before.......any advice would be welcome!
Old 10-03-07, 12:36 PM   #2
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pillion First Time

Don't let her get on or off without your permission every time (or even put a foot down)
Better if she holds on to you than the grab rail as you know what she's doing better.
Duck your head forwards and down esp.. when changing gear to avoid clashing helmets.
Increase the rear tyre pressure and preload of the rear shock, adjust the mirrors (but you'll do that anyway)
Nip down to Lidl's quick and get their £5 Rider/Pillion intercom.
Allow more time to accelerate and brake, and only filter in bigger spaces than you might go for solo.
Ride as smooth as you can.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 12:47 PM   #3
John 675

Exclamation Re: Pillion First Time

pretty much what he said, dont freak out, and carefull in the corners if she has never been on a bike, also advise her to lean with you there is nothing worse than trying to take a corner and going straight on because your pillion is cacking them selves, go slow, but im sure if she has confidance issues with bikes then you wont be going 70MPH+ will you? i wouldnt she won t get back on, my mrs hates bikes anyway and just uses mine for "transport reasons" because she doesnt " see the point " of going for a ride out. . . .

love you if you see this baby
Old 10-03-07, 01:27 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I'm going to disagree slightly there with Stu.

Its better if she decides how shes going to hold. On let her make the choice. If shes not comfortable or doesnt feel secure, she wont relax and you dont want a tense nervous pillion. Also dont lean down in front of her, as she'll cop a lot of wind blast in the face and unless shes expecting it it'll move her backwards on the seat and it can be un-nerving.

Best way to avoid clashing lids, is to ride smoothly, Gentle with the throttle and brakes, take a little more time over each gear change and you'll both get on just fine.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 01:49 PM   #5
Kinvig

Tell her to sit still!

Felt like steering a cow when my (first & only pillion) moved around for a better riding position. And she leaned into the corners better than me (
Old 10-03-07, 03:07 PM   #6
zunkus

Default Re: Pillion First Time (Advice wanted)

Just tell her to relax. Let her do what she feels best for her regarding holding you or grab rail. My missus prefers to hold grab rail and if she wants to draw my attention, maybe going too fast and speed camera ahead, she gives alittle squeeze with her legs. Boy this sounds horny LOL. Otherwise don't ride like a prat, no heroics and be smooth espcially in gear changes. Going on a lower gear helps so the bike won't be that jerky. That's it!
Old 10-03-07, 03:23 PM   #7
Alpinestarhero

Make sure she knows your rules - i have a well defined set of rules on how to do stuff, from how to get on the bike (when im on, when i say so, not getting on like getting on a horse etc etc). I prefer to have my pillion hold on round my waist; not to cling on to me like a human backpack but so they can push on the tank under braking - this minimises weight transfer, and also keeps the weight nearer me!

Also, i tell my pillions to look over the shoulder of the corner we're going round - look over the right shoulder for right corners, left for left corners. I also tell pillions NEVER to move about on the bike mid corner, and explain that it'll upset the handling and have us wobbling off into the nearest bush.

As for yourself, take your time. The braking will be worse, the bike will be top heavy, it wont pull out of corners as much, you'll need a few more revs to pull away etc etc.

Above all,

Have fun!

Matt
Old 10-03-07, 03:24 PM   #8
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Get a pair of Love handles from H/Greck...
best thing my missus says I've bought for the bike.
Old 10-03-07, 03:29 PM   #9
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

all too much worreying. just do it and take it easy.

so far any pillions ive takes are all good without problems
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 05:22 PM   #10
Heed

I've only ridden for any length of time with my brother as pillion. He was murder as he's not scared by much. 115MPH (on a private road etc.) and he was fine. However the wife got on for 5-6 miles and hated it. The more relaxed your pillion is the easier your life as the rider is. Make sure she's comfortable and as has been said agree on a panic signal that she can use to tell you to slow down a bit. I was riding to Scarborough from Darlington and didn;t know the way. Tap on either shoulder on a roundabout meant the direction and him whacking me with his kness was used to say slow down, which he only used once as he spotted a police car before me.