SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-03-11, 10:30 AM   #21
-Ralph-

Default Re: phone as a Sat Nav?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder View Post
But wouldn't it need some form of connection to know where you are?
No, the majority of smartphones that would run such software are equipped with a gps receiver. There's not much point in navigation software without GPS is there! Mobile phones that don't have GPS use mobile signal triangulation and can only figure out approximately where you are, they could be a mile out, which aint a lot of good when you want to know where to turn left off the High Street. Of course that will have no signal if it can't get a clear view of the sky, but that's no different to a TomTom.
Old 01-03-11, 10:38 AM   #22
Reeder

Ah thanks, I guess I just didn't think about the GPS receiver being a stand alone thing as opposed to needing signal from the network
Old 01-03-11, 11:03 AM   #23
beabert

The only thing you would lose with zero signal is agps, which helps gps locate your position faster on first start up in a new area.
Old 01-03-11, 11:44 AM   #24
SUPERSTARDJ01

Default Re: phone as a Sat Nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
What I do...

Program Sat-Nav on phone before getting on bike, attach headphones, adjust volume, stick phone in inside Jacket pocket, just have the voice directions.
Same here
Old 01-03-11, 11:50 AM   #25
slark01

Default Re: phone as a Sat Nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSTARDJ01 View Post
Same here
and here

Ste.
Old 01-03-11, 11:54 AM   #26
mister c
Mega Poster

I have an HTC Hero with Android's Co Pilot on it. It costs about £20 & it's one of the best sat navs I've ever used. I have the Fag lighter socket on the bike & as somebody said earlier, put it in a tank bag etc & wear the ear phones from the phone. I went to pick the SV1000 up on Saturday from North Yorkshire (granted I was in a van) & it took me to with 100yds of the fellers place, he lived right in the sticks as well.
I made a couple of mistakes as well thinking I knew where I was going on the way back & it just reset itself without any of the "Please turn around" commands that really get on your nerves.
It will also accomodate Bikes, walkin & cars, so all in all a damned good package.
You can get European maps for it as well, but the whole thing takes up 2gb of space on your phone, so download onto your pc 1st & make sure you have a decent SD card in your phone

Last edited by mister c; 01-03-11 at 11:56 AM.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 12:00 PM   #27
Jimmy2Feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
I have an HTC Hero with Android's Co Pilot on it. It costs about £20 & it's one of the best sat navs I've ever used. I have the Fag lighter socket on the bike & as somebody said earlier, put it in a tank bag etc & wear the ear phones from the phone. I went to pick the SV1000 up on Saturday from North Yorkshire (granted I was in a van) & it took me to with 100yds of the fellers place, he lived right in the sticks as well.
I made a couple of mistakes as well thinking I knew where I was going on the way back & it just reset itself without any of the "Please turn around" commands that really get on your nerves.
It will also accomodate Bikes, walkin & cars, so all in all a damned good package.
You can get European maps for it as well, but the whole thing takes up 2gb of space on your phone, so download onto your pc 1st & make sure you have a decent SD card in your phone

That is usefull to know, i have my new Andriod phone coming tomorrow i hope, so i will look into this. I think the concensous it tank bag really isn't it?

I just liked the idea of having some form of bracket on the bars and hardwire everything i need, (power/audio etc) along the frame to under the seat to connect to the autocom. But cant have everything i suppose.....that is why you can buy things like tom tom riders to give you all that!!!
Old 01-03-11, 12:13 PM   #28

as I royal fkd up and my HTC 7 Trophy has no sat nav I was about to destroy it to claim on the insurance to get an ewwwwwwphone, then i remeber my car sat nav.

Quick googling later, new software on the tom tom, europe maps on an sd card, with a line out to the aux on my oxford rider intercom, and a water proof case from ebay for £20, water proof sig lighter under seat and jobs a goodun,

I can even put music on it and control the MP3's from that

I have even changed the little map pointer to a motorcycle
Old 27-10-13, 08:45 AM   #29
Knobby

Im going to try M8 and Waze on my galaxy S3.
I have a cigar lighter on my curvy already for a tomtom and all I need is a galaxy s3 case and I'm ready to go.
Old 26-06-15, 11:11 AM   #30
JamesMio
Mega Poster

After a bit of faffing, a lot of coffee and some falling out - we've now got CoPilot route files (.trp) as an available option for exports direct from MotoGoLoco Maps.

i.e. you now no longer have to faff about with any 3rd party conversion software (e.g. Route Converter) to go from GPX to TRN, it's all done for you.

The only slightly tricky bit now is sussing out where your phone/device stores route files for CoPilot, but once you've got that figured out - it's plain sailing.

Happy days!

Full details in here --> http://www.motogoloco.com/blog/how-t...t-app-android/

Creatomatic

Last edited by JamesMio; 26-06-15 at 01:53 PM.
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote