SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-10-16, 09:28 AM   #1
shiftin_gear98

Default BT Master Socket

Ok, next mission.
From what I gather I am not allowed to move this myself. YouTube would suggest it's possible. However if I **** it up it could cost about £150 to get Open Reach to come and sort it out. With a slapped wrist.

Have any of you got Open Reach to move yours I believe it's the same cost? Was it straightforward or a right ball ache to get them to come out?
If so, did you contact direct or did your service provider arrange it?

Read somewhere that the line has 50v running through it which if a call comes through can peak to 900v. Not something I'd like to be holding at the time.

Thanks.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-16, 10:13 AM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: BT Master Socket

lol 900v? Nowhere near it. Nothing that will harm you at all. If you can move it without touching any of the cores together you're golden. If you trip BT's fuse you'll be in trouble
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-16, 10:17 AM   #3
shiftin_gear98

Darren, In trouble, or having to buy another faceplate - loads for sale on Ebay.
Or would it cause issue back up the line?
Just trying to get through to Sky, who have to contact Open Reach. Tried BT they say I don't have an account with them.
Old 19-10-16, 10:37 AM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

You won't do any harm to the faceplate. I mean if you trip their fuse you'll have to get them to sort it and explain why you were messing with it without their permission
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-16, 11:08 AM   #5
shiftin_gear98

I'm more than happy to get them out. So far it's a ball ache even trying to get through to Sky.
Why does **** like this have to be so complicated.
Old 19-10-16, 12:39 PM   #6
shiftin_gear98

Just spent 33 mins of my life on the phone to Sky, paid £130.00. Now just waiting for Open Reach to ring me back tonight. Not sure it can be this straight forward. Sure it'll go tits up.
Old 20-10-16, 11:03 PM   #7
DJFridge

Due to an absolute work of genius by a previous owner, our master socket is basically inaccessible in the loft. When we had trouble (an overheating router caused BT to cap our line speed at 0.5MB for two weeks) I ended up disconnecting all the extensions wired into it apart from one in our dining room that looks like a master socket. Everything is now connected to that and, if asked whether I've connected through the master socket, I just say "Yes". The really annoying thing is that the "pretend" socket is much closer to where the phone line comes into the house than the proper master socket is but I've never seen the point of spending over a hundred quid tidying up after a numpty.
Old 21-10-16, 11:06 AM   #8
shiftin_gear98

Well two days later and Open Reach haven't rung yet. Sky took all card details over the phone to confirm they can access the £130.00. Looks like this IS going to turn into a saga. One that after awhile I'll say **** it and move it myself.
Why did BT and "numptys" put these things in stupid places. ****s..
Old 21-10-16, 01:15 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

they will put it in a place that is easiest for them to install and closest to the main cable entry without making too much mess. when they move it they will surface route and staple a new cable to your chosen point.

can i ask why you want it moved?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-16, 03:08 PM   #10
shiftin_gear98

Decorating. We have parquet flooring currently covered by the previous owners outdated carpet. I understand BT put it in an easy place etc. But in those days it didn't need to be near a power socket. They have brought it in by the front door, fair enough. Then run it across the base of the stairs and stuck it to the wall. Only power socket in the room is the otherside of the room. When we moved in I lifted the carpet and ran a power cable around edge by the gripper. Again across base of stairs, worked perfect with carpet. However carpets on borrowed time. Without it there would be an unsightly power cable trailing halfway around the room. Not to mention a trip hazard for everyone coming down the stairs. Quite happy to pay the money to get them to move it. Just can't understand why it's such a hassle to get them out. Especially as no-one else is supposed to touch it.