SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-08-06, 03:20 PM   #1
Jp

Default Apple Mac/PC File Compatabilities

I need to send a word document to a guy with an apple mac.

Now i know he wont be able to open it if it stays as a word document.

So i will need to change it to somethin else, it doesnt really matter what as it only needs to be basic bold underlined italic etc.

So if i send him the email as a .txt file would that work, would he be able to open it properly?

Thanks
Old 17-08-06, 03:22 PM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

send it in rich text .rtf

Personally if he does not need to change the document I would write it as an acrobat pdf
Old 17-08-06, 03:29 PM   #3
Baph

If he has Open Office or the likes installed, he'll be fine with an MSWord document (of any version).

PDF Writer is a nice thing to have installed though

Edit: Only just saw your last question. a Text file (.txt) won't retain file formatting, so he wont see bold/italic/underline. For that, you'll need RTF as a minimum really.
Old 17-08-06, 03:36 PM   #4
wyrdness

It doesn't matter whether they have a PC or a Mac. What is required is them having Word installed (or another program like OpenOffice that can open Word documents.

As others have said, pdf or rtf are probably better options.
Old 17-08-06, 03:42 PM   #5
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

What wyrdness said, its not that macs cant read it but they dont use file extentions so somtimes word will not want to recognise it. Saying that i think now OSX will understand that a doc ending is a word file. If not just go into Word on the Mac and select to view any file type, then open the file you want, word will know that its a file it can work with and open it.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-06, 03:44 PM   #6
Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
What wyrdness said, its not that macs cant read it but they dont use file extentions so somtimes word will not want to recognise it. Saying that i think now OSX will understand that a doc ending is a word file. If not just go into Word on the Mac and select to view any file type, then open the file you want, word will know that its a file it can work with and open it.
OSX does recognise it i run OSX on my mac and can open word and excel docs with no problem i used send docs from my pc at work home to the mac to work on and vice versa before i moved
Old 17-08-06, 03:47 PM   #7
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
OSX does recognise it i run OSX on my mac and can open word and excel docs with no problem i used send docs from my pc at work home to the mac to work on and vice versa before i moved
Thats cool, then. I have not used OSX that much recently, i was from the 7.x.x days where you needed to install a seperate app that decoded the file extentions from PCs and vicaversa.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote