SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-08-12, 08:54 PM   #1
thebug

Default Caberg Hyperx - anyone have one?

http://www.caberg-helm.com/caberg_ca...MA&p=2&lang=en

I'm seriously considering replacing my 4 year old AGV lid with this. Does anyone have any experience of them? What are they like to live with? Wind noise? Quality?
Old 13-08-12, 10:17 AM   #2
bladesuk1

Default Re: Caberg Hyperx - anyone have one?

i've used caberg's trip for years, and think it's a great helmet. never had an issue with wind noise, but then i tend to use isolating headphones under the helmet anyways. certainly like the trip lots more than the shark evoline, at any rate - more comfy, and the airflow didn't dry my eyeballs out. think the trip is phased out now, though - seems to be the duke instead?
bladesuk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-12, 01:05 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I've got a caberg trip and it's the most useless worst designed bag of crap since those box flip fronts.

It's noisy and draughty and cold, without the side effect of any of the wind going the right way to clear the visor.
The ventilation is terrible at the back though so you sweat your knackers off on both days of summer.

The flip down sunvisor fogs immediately if you have the main visor down. If you have the main visor up then the sunvisor and the stupidly shaped chinpiece conspire to direct the air blast, wasps and grit straight into your pupils.

Oh and if you do a lifesaver on the motorway the visor pings open, then slams shut when you look forwards again.

This is from direct comparison with an XR1000 shoei which is great. Noisy but with excellent venting, visor clearing and mechanism. I had a caberg V2 before that was a bit cheap and cheerful but did the job fine.

The hyperX appears to be a gimmicky thing with all the disadvantages of a flip front without the convenience!

I'd definitely want to try one on the road before spending a penny. I bet that silly chin thing lets air in and the visor doesn't seal properly. For the time and tooling for that, they could have made something decent.
Old 13-08-12, 01:23 PM   #4
bladesuk1

@chris can honestly say that i've never had a spot of bother with my trip at all, and i've used them for years. never had a problem with the internal visor fogging up, either - sounds to me like you don't have a caberg-shaped head?
to be honest, it sounds like you've got a weak spring if the visor pops open when you do a lifesaver - either that, or you're going a wee bit faster than the legal limit?
actually, it sounds like you're having the same issues with it as i did with the shark evoline. i suspect it's just a case of the wrong helmet for you, same as the evo was for me.
bladesuk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-12, 01:24 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

regard it as an open faced.

i have a caberg gt and its crap, noisy and heavy. you can take the lid and stretch/squeeze the opening. the chin strap chokes you but i will say it's convenient to have the visor and the flip front. i have used it twice then chucked it in the 'useless bike gear' corner. caberg have good idea's but cant put them into practise and build 'cheep' lids.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-12, 01:25 PM   #6
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

How funny to read this. I have a Caberg Jutissimo, and I wear glasses. It isn't too noisy, keeps my head cool, the visor doesn't steam up and it's so comfortable.

I also have a Shoei XR1000 which is almost unusable. It steams up if I breath even with a pinlock. But over 25 miles an hour it blasts my eyes with air so badly I can't see. The pinlock edge is right over my line of sight on the SV too. I've tried the chin guard and full whisper kit and neither helps. And it's very noisy. I now only use it when I go pillion as I don't need to see where I'm going.

Last edited by Littlepeahead; 13-08-12 at 01:27 PM.
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-12, 01:35 PM   #7
MartinT

Yes I have owned one for about a year and I think its a great helmet. I use it open-face in slow speed environments and with the chin bar the rest of the time.

Build quality of mine is very good, everything operates with a nice solid feel. The visor is thick but has excellent optical quality and because its so deep it covers the whole of the face, you won't get a mouthful of flies in open-face mode, and it locks securely in place.

As for noise I don't wear ear plugs around town but I do on motorways, I have never found noise to be a problem but like fit its bound to depend on the individual. There is no wind curtain on the chin bar which will add to noise and result in a cold face during the winter but its easy to resolve by glueing the curtain from an old helmet to the inside of the chin bar.

Like all anti-fog visors I have had it works to a degree but will fog in extreme conditions, the visor is too large for an insert so either side of summer I always apply Clarity De-fogit and suffer no fogging.

Front and peripheral vision is excellent and its stable at high speed.

It is identical to the Jet Sintesi which many more shops stock than the hyperX so will give you a good idea of fit. In the flesh you will notice it is fatter than most full face helmets.
Old 13-08-12, 01:54 PM   #8
thebug

I think I'll try one on this evening. The other option is the Nolan N43 Air

http://www.nolanhelmets.com/n43trilogyncom.htm

same sort of idea - an open faced helmet with a chin bar which can be attached. I have two helmets at the moment, a Nolan open face and an AGV closed face. I like the open face because it feels more like I'm riding a bike than the closed face which has the car windscreen effect of isolating you from the environment somewhat. The only problem is at speed the visor slams shut of its own accord, the wind getting past the visor makes it difficult to see and in the eventuality that I feel like face-planting the tarmac, I'm going to need the name of a very good maxillofacial surgeon.
These helmets seem to offer a much larger field of view even in full face mode, the ability to be completely open face, and at least maybe a little protection in the chin bar (though I know it's not likely to be much)
Old 13-08-12, 02:21 PM   #9
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Have you looked at the Shark, it's heavy but can be worn locked back.

http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/h...mi-helmet.html
Old 13-08-12, 07:02 PM   #10
thebug

So I tried it and it seems to sit too high on my head. It felt much tighter than my AGV, don't know if maybe I need a large instead of a medium? Had similar issues with the Caberg Duke, my chin actually touched the chin bar when it was down. I know the Nolan is a good fit, but I can't find anywhere that has any in stock, and the Shark is a little heavy on the wallet. Anyone have any more ideas?