SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-02-17, 04:55 PM   #11
tom_e

Default Re: Help! Front sprocket too tight!

To be fair it actually looks in pretty clean decent nick I'm surprised it's stuck. I done mine when I first got the bike a couple of years ago and it all looked a bit orange and sorry for itself and the lock washer had rusted so much I had to grind it off with a dremel as there was nothing left to actually flatten but I managed to buzz it off with a cheap electric impact gun without too much effort.
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 05:50 PM   #12
sl0th86

Ahh nice one i wished mine was that easy! Should of seen the look on the guys face at the garage when he was tugging on the breaker bar, i thought for sure it was going to snap haha

Alot of people are saying chuck a bit of wood or a bar inbetween the wheel and swing arm, the wheel isnt moving as such but its got some bounce to it when trying to undo the nut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-17, 11:47 PM   #13
Ds77

Mine was a nightmare. Bought a long breaker bar from Halfords and put some wood through the wheel and swing arm and it finally broke free.

First attempts were using a 16 inch breaker bar and my other half standing on the rear brake. No chance.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Ds77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 05:54 AM   #14
Red Herring
Mega Poster

There's a firm just up the lane from me that repairs and MOT's trucks. On the couple of occasions I've had sprocket nuts that I couldn't shift with my average impact gun I've nipped up there with it and they've rattled it off in two seconds flat with their super duper heavy duty variety. Just remember to take the necessary tools to be able to get to it and then tighten it back up to your satisfaction afterwards for the ride home.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 06:35 AM   #15
sl0th86

Yeah that was the idea! But the gun they had at the bike garage couldnt get it off! Im soaking it in plus gas for a few days and trying it again with a breaker bar, mite have to lock the back wheel with something tho hmmmm

Old 10-02-17, 08:35 AM   #16
tom_e

Stick it in first and then as you said get a sturdy bit of wood jammed between one of the spokes and the swingarm then it's just a case of huffing, puffing, swearing and hoping.
Old 10-02-17, 08:35 AM   #17
tom_e

Stick it in first and then as you said get a sturdy bit of wood jammed between one of the spokes and the swingarm then it's just a case of huffing, puffing, swearing and hoping.
Old 10-02-17, 08:41 AM   #18
sl0th86

Ive also got a new nut and washer on the way, i'll grab some spinnich as well haha

Old 10-02-17, 01:41 PM   #19
aesmith

If you've got a replacement nut, could you cut the existing one?
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 01:53 PM   #20
sl0th86

Yeah another option but i dont have anything to cut it with and "blapper" tried to get his cutter in there but it wont fit all the way to cut it through, just put a slit in it lol