SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-06-10, 07:25 PM   #1
malongworth

Default rapid flashing indicators - yet again.

hi,

ive piecing back my old sv (curvy) to put back on the road and decided to do the indicators this afternoon,

as per the title they are flashing real fast - i presume that it cant pass the mot with such fast flashing signals, if it can then im not bothered.

all the lights work, the rear ones are cheap aftermarket ****e. the front two are an LED german make given to me by a boss at work ( altho i never heard of them they cost him £40 spankin new so i think their built well. right? )

didn't have this problem before when the bike was functional but it has been sitting for roughly 8-9 months.

any ideas? anyone?

the rear left is a little faulty ( needs a nudge/tap when i 1st wired it back up get it going as there must be a crap conection at the fitting but it flash well and true now)

will it just be a matter of the new LEDS needing less voltage? if so can it be fixed/ adjusted easily or should i just get another pair of crappy craps crap blinkers?

cheers
Old 11-06-10, 07:36 PM   #2
Kilted Ginger

Default Re: rapid flashing indicators

Not sure about curvy, but pointy flashes too fast if you fit led indicators, need to fit a flasher relay from halfords or motrax, or refit oem indys. do a search on here and there is a lot more detail, however i think anything from 60 - 120 flashes per minute is a pass, again details in other threads. good luck
Old 11-06-10, 07:36 PM   #3
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by malongworth View Post
the rear left is a little faulty ( needs a nudge/tap when i 1st wired it back up get it going as there must be a crap conection at the fitting but it flash well and true now)

will it just be a matter of the new LEDS needing less voltage? if so can it be fixed/ adjusted easily or should i just get another pair of crappy craps crap blinkers?

cheers
Well theres the problem on the left side, as if the wire is loose, when its not connected it will flash fast, both on that and the front left. So fix the loose connection.
As for the LEDs, theres a thingbob from Motrax thats supposed to help with the voltage with those. Someone with the answer for that will be along shortly!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 07:44 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

I found with one indicator not connected that that side flashed at too faster rate, but that was with normal bulbs. So solve the loose connection problem first, before going onto the next phase.

If the indicators flash too fast when everything is perfect, then you'll need to fit inline resistors (not relay's) to each indicator circuit. This'll cure the fast flash rate.

A quick trawl of evilbay will source some, but if you can get a part number, thyen you'll probably get them cheaper.

I had some RS brand ones, but I can't remember the part number sorry
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 08:32 PM   #5
malongworth

cheers guys for the quick response's.

DizzyB
Quote:
Well theres the problem on the left side, as if the wire is loose, when its not connected it will flash fast, both on that and the front left. So fix the loose connection.
the loose connected one i dont think is the problem as i tried connecting a fully working indy that i had laying around to make sure it wasn't this that was causing the rapid flash. thanks

i had a out bulb before and the flashers went rapid but only on that side, this case their all going for it like rampant dogs on heat!

maviczap, do i need to fit inline resistors to the front two only as their the LED over priced boys or will i hav to do all 4?

Kilted Ginger,
Quote:
however i think anything from 60 - 120 flashes per minute is a pass
im going back outside to stare at some flashing lights for a minute,

cheers
mark
Old 11-06-10, 08:39 PM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by malongworth View Post
maviczap, do i need to fit inline resistors to the front two only as their the LED over priced boys or will i hav to do all 4?
Just the LED ones
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 08:51 PM   #7
malongworth

cool cheers for that,
this site here pretty much tells me what to do i think?
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=100471

oh, and 180 flashes in a min, and i see dots. gunna go and try and watch the TT now :s

cheers
mark
Old 11-06-10, 11:00 PM   #8
Kilted Ginger

I tried the resistor route and the heat dissapation is a problem, I've just fitted a new relay today, took about 20 mins, they are about £10. The resistors are pennies but like i said the heat dissapation is the issue. there are numerous threads on here about it. pointy is remove 2 wires from oem unit and link in relay.

Job done.
Old 14-06-10, 02:41 PM   #9
embee
Mega Poster

"Conventional" flasher relays are designed to flash fast when a lamp is out so that you know something is wrong (failed lamp etc). In effect they sense the total current supplied to the lamps, if it's low then they flash fast. LEDs take much less current than usual lamps so it gives the fast flash rate.

In order to use LEDs with a std flasher relay you need to add enough load for the relay to sense more or less the right current (usually 2x21W load so around 3.5A). Any resistors you add need to be able to cope with this current/power, if you add a resistor at each lamp position they need to cope with around the same power as the std lamp (21W) when on. If you assume 12V then each resistor needs to be (V*2/R) = (12x12/21) = 6.8 Ohms, which happens to be a standard resistor value.

Because they are on only about half the time you can just about get away with 10W resistors, but 25W will be more robust. Maplins do 10W wirewound power resistors at 48p each here , they will get hot.

A more elegant solution is to use an aftermarket flasher relay designed for the low loads with LEDs.
Old 14-06-10, 11:01 PM   #10
malongworth

yeah i bought a flasher unit yesterday. i found on another post that cbay bought this unit and it worked fine so im going to give it a go..
link if interested - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ht_1720wt_1002

a bit expensive considering but its tidy... if it works that is. ill post the results. cheers
mark