Default Re: Tyres for track and road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Then use Metzeler M3's or Racetec's
Or M5 racetec
Old 15-10-13, 06:42 PM   #22
chris SVK3

What sort of mileage would get on the road with power 3's. I hoping to do a couple track days then go to alps which will be 2500 miles there and back. Although we will get there on the motorway.

Thanks for the advice so far.
Old 15-10-13, 07:56 PM   #23
Runako

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris SVK3 View Post
What sort of mileage would get on the road with power 3's. I hoping to do a couple track days then go to alps which will be 2500 miles there and back. Although we will get there on the motorway.

Thanks for the advice so far.
As long as you're not caning it on the motorway (and lets be honest, its harder these days with the French Gendarme looking to make a bit more money), you'll easily do this without any problem. I did a full trackday before the 3000 mile trip to France & Spain and, as I mentioned previously, I've done more damage to the middle by hotfooting it up and down to London following that trip. Tread is nowhere near the tread marker, just the shape is starting to square a little. So no more Mway for me (on this bike) until I round the edges a little

Expect a good 7k+ on the rear. The front's will last forever with the main problem being cupping if you're a hard braker or doing a lot of trackdays.
Old 15-10-13, 10:48 PM   #24
chris SVK3

Awesome looks like power 3's then. Just got to find a tyre shop that won't rip me off. Unfortunately my local one not exact known for me able to do the properly or cheap. .ast I went there they didn't manage to put the wheel in straight and torque to the right setting.
Old 16-10-13, 09:46 AM   #25
chris c

Any modern sports touring or sports tyre will be fine on track unless your running good pace in the fast group on track days
Old 17-10-13, 08:33 AM   #26
Whitty

Any of the latest road tyres will do the job. I use supercorsas sc's for racing and trackdays. Incredible when at proper operating temps, not good cold! Last weekend I was scraping my silencer at 3 sisters till I did a quick rear wheel swop for one that had only had warmer on for five mins then highsided it on first lap !!! On the road especially from this time of year you need tyres that work at all temperatures. Track tyres will cool off or never get warm on edges(unless you are a riding legend?) Plus the tread pattern is there just to make it road legal really. Proper all round sports tyre will disperse standing water.
Old 17-10-13, 08:36 AM   #27
Matt-EUC
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitty View Post
(unless you are a riding legend?)
Like me??

White 650 V-Strom
-No mods
Blue curvy 650 (OMFG I FIXED IT!!!)
-200mm Delkevic Stubby.
Matt-EUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-13, 09:28 AM   #28
Runako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitty View Post
On the road especially from this time of year you need tyres that work at all temperatures.
That's why the new Mich's are recommended cause they seem to need very little time to warm up and in most cases were fine to go within a lap. Of course its always a good idea to warm the tyres but from what I can tell the PR3's heat cycle well and are still relatively soft. For me this has always translated into a better winter tyre. It has to be pretty icy or pretty wet for me to start really questioning them. I'm sure a lot of tyres are very capable and, to be fair, I can't add an opinion on them. But when you ride these tyres into oblivion regularly (I've seen the belt a couple of times) you get to know what they can do. I expect the current Power 3's - with about 4k on them - to last me until Spring.

Last edited by Runako; 17-10-13 at 09:30 AM.
Old 17-10-13, 07:46 PM   #29
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-EUC View Post
Like me??
Legend is not always a good thing, it just means people tell difficult to believe stories about you.
Old 18-10-13, 10:02 AM   #30
chris SVK3

What's the main difference between pilot power 3's and pilot road 3's mileage wise.

Pilot power look a better choice for my plan of a couple track days and week trip in the alps but are road's going to make. The distance.

Thanks