SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-05-07, 04:32 PM   #1
earthtodan

Default First bike - Looking at a 650S. Right bike for me? Decision possibly today.

Hello all,
I'm buying my first motorcycle and I found a 2003 copper SV650S, very good condition, for $3500. Still not sure if an SV is the right bike for me, so let me tell you about my style and what I want out of riding.

I do track days in my car (Honda Prelude), and I've been riding road bicycles for about 10 years. I'm a canyon carving fiend at heart. By getting into motorcycles I mean to combine the best of both worlds (engine power + two wheels). My riding friends (also supersport types) tell me an SV650 will be the perfect starter bike, and not to have any hesitation about it. Indeed, I love the engine, it has a nice manageable torquey feel that's quick enough to get away from traffic at mid-rpm but isn't likely to take off without me.

Anyway, I don't need to tell a 650 board what's right with the bike. Here are my fears.

I'm afraid it won't be sporty enough. I'm not the type who prefers a "softer" feel for long rides - I'd rather just deal with some discomfort and keep all the handling edge I can get for when I reach the twisties. I'm used to road bicycles, with a bent-over riding position, so even "aggressive" motorcycles feel upright and comfortable to me. Handling is simply priority number 1, and all others get to compete for second place. Will the SV650S get frustrating after a while?

I'm also looking at a 97 GSX-R600. This bike is 6 years older, has higher miles, fewer parts available, is less smooth and less forgiving on the rider. I'm going to check it out today. It's got some rash on a fairing. It's more of a young-guy's tear-around sport bike than a balanced, sensible bike. But this appeals to me. It's supposed to be the best handling 600cc track weapon made that year. I like road feedback and an aggressive feel. I'd like to be able to tinker and take stuff apart without feeling like I'm clouding a gem. I can drop and scrape up this bike without really lowering its value. It's got more attitude and youth. It's also cheaper to buy and insure.

I'm also not too hot on the copper color of the SV. Should I buy the SV650? Let me know your opinion. Thanks.

Dan

Last edited by earthtodan; 13-05-07 at 04:37 PM.
Old 13-05-07, 04:50 PM   #2
gettin2dizzy

Default Re: First bike - Looking at a 650S. Right bike for me? Decision possibly today.

hey dan, welcome along!
I'd go for the SV, you have to remember its pushing out over 400bhp/tonne still. In comparison to your prelude it'll leave it for dead. Theres a lot of macho talk from people with super sport bikes like gsxrs about how they're faster than light, but realistically 0-100mph theres little in it. The rider skill resolves who'd win that race! After 100mph its no contest, the gsxr would disappear but thats not the most practical for road riding: 100mph sitting in peak power on a gsxr is probably only 2nd gear! If you like tinkering the gsxrs are practically track bikes, you'd be looking at expensive parts for litle difference. One of the beauties of the SV is its budget parts, it leaves a blank canvas to make it your own bike. You could happily spend little money on suspension/brakes upgrades and feel a real difference, much more worthwhile Copper is one of the favourites across this board, if your not too keen on the looks theres a wealth of aftermarket parts for it too.
Good luck with it all
Old 13-05-07, 05:06 PM   #3
Larry

Default Re: First bike - Looking at a 650S. Right bike for me? Decision possibly today.

Hi

I think it's probably a good idea to just have a look at both bikes and then decide based on how they feel to sit on and which is the most fun to ride. If it's the more unforgiving ride and extra power of the GSXR which has scared you off, but everything else about the bike seems perfect, consider getting it but having it restricted, or just learn the feel of the bike gradually before riding it flat out everywhere.

That's the way I chose which bike to get after my test, I'd been lucky enough to get a go on most of the bikes I would have liked, and very nearly got a 2000 model ZX6R instead. I chose an SV because I loved v-twins, the moment I had a go on a twin I knew I wanted one, and the SV was the only small one around.

The SV will still feel fast and be a laugh, but overall is also more manageable and forgiving, not to mention cheaper. The GSXR will challenge your riding skills for longer and require less tweaking to get it spot on.

Good luck!
Old 13-05-07, 05:08 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

For a first bike, you cant do better than an IMHO.

Its quick enough so you can have some fun, but not so quick that its intimidating, its easy to ride and forgiving. Its cheap to run and insure, but best of all its heeps of fun.

Out of the two bikes your looking at I'd get the SV, ride it for a couple of years and then chop it in the for a GSXR or something similar.

The S model is not that sporty, its quite an upright riding position compared to a full on sports bike like a GSXR, but when I got mine it still felt like I was crawling all over the front of the bike, its only when I get on my GSXR that I realise its quite laid back.

The only way your going to tell is to have a sit on an SV, or take it for a test ride and see how you get on with it.

Personally I quite like the Copper colour, but I suspect I'm in the minority, if you like it go for it

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition

Last edited by fizzwheel; 13-05-07 at 05:20 PM.
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-07, 06:04 PM   #5
earthtodan

Okay, let's say I get this SV but I can't learn to like the copper. It looks like jewelry or something - not sporty, and not something that belongs on a sportsbike. How easy would it be to find someone with a different color SV, like silver or blue, and trade the gas tank, plastics and any other colored parts? Practical solution?
Old 13-05-07, 09:35 PM   #6
ridelikeaturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthtodan View Post
Okay, let's say I get this SV but I can't learn to like the copper. It looks like jewelry or something - not sporty, and not something that belongs on a sportsbike. How easy would it be to find someone with a different color SV, like silver or blue, and trade the gas tank, plastics and any other colored parts? Practical solution?
dude, you're overthinking this. Personally I would never change the color of a bike unless it's a trackday-only bike. You'd never be able to sell it on w/o a lot of questions to be answered.

Get the SV and learn to live w/the color. You can't see it when you're riding it .

If you feel the need to upgrade the bike (for whatever reason - color, maybe you'll want something sharper (like an R6 or a literbike), etc.), you'll have no worries - the SVs are great bikes and you won't have any difficulty shifting it.
Old 13-05-07, 09:48 PM   #7
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Have you bought the SV yet - because that is what you need to do!
But as you said you knew you would get that answer from an SV forum But I think it is genuinely the right bike for you from what you describe.

Now the colour - I don't think you are likely to ever come across someone wanting to trade colours with you. It will cost you a few hundred $'s to get it resprayed, which will not add anything to its value. But if you don't have a lot of bikes to choose from then just go ahead and keep it for the year before you're ready to change the bike anyway, you will always find someone who will buy it, it's not as if it's pink .... or Yellow!
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-07, 10:00 PM   #8
toonyank

Oh yes for a 1st bike, go for the SV. I did and I had a Gixer 750 years ago and it's a perfect fit for me being a bit of an old timer

As for the price? £3500 for an SK3? Must be really mint! I have a curvey SK2 which in my opinion is in fantastic fully serviced 19,000 condition and I paid £1850 for it.

Good choice in a great all rounder though
Old 13-05-07, 11:04 PM   #9
Torn-Thorax

3500 american
Old 14-05-07, 03:43 AM   #10
earthtodan

Yeah, that's 3500 dollars. Anyway, here's an update.

I rode the GSX-R600 today. It handled great! Just what I was expecting and want from a sportbike. No cruiser feel on tight turns, you just ask it nicely to make a right and it does so. Of course, brand new tires have a lot to do with that. It has the aggressive riding position that gives me confidence in its sportiness, and it looks freakin' awesome. And for the lower price, I was tempted to take it home with me.

Downsides: The extra weight on your hands is annoying after all, something I might like for short trips across town or on the freeway but maybe not so nice for a long trip. Also, low-end power was lacking. It took more gas to start than the other bikes I've ridden. This was a strong running bike, but when I pointed it up a super-steep hill in San Francisco in 2nd gear, I had to twist my wrist pretty far to get it climb at a respectable speed. The SV doesn't have that problem. Also, I like the narrow tank feel of the SV better than the spread-leg feel of the GSX-R.

So that's where I'm at. The GSX-R felt like I want a sportbike to feel - it spoke to me the most. But I'm going to be sensible and go for the injected, user-friendly bike with a better powerband, that will handle well once I put round tires on it. I'm going to try to procure the SV, and console my inner child with the reassurance that a nicer, newer GSX-R is in my future.

As for the price, I'm still negotiating that.