SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 13-06-08, 12:09 PM   #1
Zombie Jesus

Cool Pembrey trackday

My second trackday at Pembrey and first full day in intermediate group due to my time at silverstone being cut short due to me crashing. In comparison the difference between the quickest and the slowest rider was alot less due to probably due to ability levels and the nature of the track, being not as wide with generally slower corners. That being said there were LOTS of red flags mostly in fast group or novices. It was common to hear a bike being chucked down the track and at one point sessions had to be stopped because both ambulances were tied up with the wounded. There was only one off in inters where a guy with a brand new R6 lowsided on the first corner of the warm up lap.

Compared to my last time here I was about the same pace through the hairpins at turns 1 and 6, faster though 2,3,4,8 and a lot faster through 5 and 7. I seemed to be losing the most time around 3 and 4 though managed to greatly improve my line through the series of curves. The line from the entry to turn 2 to the exit to turn 5 is basically one continuous curve rolling on the throttle without touching the brakes. The only braking areas I used were going into turns 1,6 and 8 where I made up the most ground on others although I generally avoided really hard braking unless I was trying to make a pass, perhaps other were doing the same. Hard braking from 120+ down to 30-40 going into turn 1 repeatedly ended up screwing up muscles in my shoulders and arms for a couple of days after.

Overall I was probably around 5-10mph down each corner compared with the fastest two riders on a ducati 999 and the other on a blue R1. Main areas for improvement are high speed left handers, getting on the throttle harder out of corners and memorising braking points.

I usually rolled off the throttle slightly before woodlands, though it should be possible to get ~120mph flat out:

woodlands again:

dibeni / turn 3:

opposite angle on either turn 3 or 4:

passing the apex marker at turn 5:

brookland's hairpin:

Old 13-06-08, 12:27 PM   #2
suzsv650

Default Re: Pembrey trackday

looks sweet is it a good track? i want to do a day but cant decide what track!
Old 13-06-08, 12:57 PM   #3
Zombie Jesus

I reckon it's an ideal track for a beginner because it's short meaning you'll end up doing more laps per session learning the track faster, and there is a good variation of corners.

Last edited by Zombie Jesus; 13-06-08 at 04:50 PM.
Old 13-06-08, 01:57 PM   #4
mister c
Mega Poster

Some nice shots there me owd
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-08, 07:27 PM   #5
Tim in Belgium

Zobie, time you learnt to lean your bike opver, I mean you're boltupright in all those pics

Some great pics there, loving the hairpin shots.
Old 14-06-08, 08:26 PM   #6
StreetHawk

That last pic is awesome mate.. I would have that framed!
Old 15-06-08, 06:28 PM   #7
Blue_SV650S

Going by the pics, it looks like you have quite a nice riding style there.

Woodlands on a fast bike takes some stones to do flat out! Hatchets is just stupid (especially in a race)! The rest of the track is quite nice. Its actually a little hard to figure out the fastest way to take/go through the back section (From exit of turn 4 all the way to to turn 6).

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 15-06-08 at 06:30 PM.